The covert packaderm (stealth)

GoldenMotor.com

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
This started as a gas/elelctric and is now straight gas powered by a HF79 thru a jackshaft to a 3 speed hub (as a jackshaft).
Frame stretched 3".
The stealth stuff is left over and I like it looking like a bike (weird but still bike-like).
Dual muffers (one home-made w.fiberglas absorbtion and now twin 3hp Briggs cigar muffs- the cigar muffs delete any throaty sound).
Geared to top out around 35mph.
Needed juice for lights provided by 150 watt scooter motor driven at about 1/3 speed off engine.
Wt. 100# (including hd rear rack and milk crate).
Sus front end and seat post.

First pic is without the shopping bag over the framework- last pic has it on.
Red "Tank bag" contains HF gastank.

Left side pic shows the larger scooter motor (as generator) prior to replacing it with smaller one and removing the battery.

Right side shows the #25 chain from the primary jackshaft to the hub jackshaft.
Initial Vbelt off the engine uses a pivoting spring loaded clutch and HT lever.

Attachments

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I works well, but the internal parts of the hub are tiny so I am real careful shifting up.

Initally, the hub would jump out of 3rd gear, upon disasembly, the little engagement pins and what they call a "Clutch" which transmits power were worn a bit.
I did a little re-work and the hub is fine now.
You would think a 3hp engine would not place as much load on the hub as a strong pedaler but the inertia loads using an engine are huge.
The other alternative to the hub would be a shift kit. I LOVE having gears.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
yah. i just got a shift kit, and a nuvinci hub. but cant ride till spring cuz the snow. but i know i will like the way it rides alot better then a single speed. mostly because i live in a really hilly area. but your idea maybe diy but its a good idea. and alot cheaper then my gearing.lol

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Outstanding Professor! Really like it.

dunno why but (and I really studied your pics) "step start" keeps coming to mind. I been wanting to try one so maybe thats why it keeps popping up in my head. But a stirrup sort of thing swapping the pull-start 180*, led down with a fairlead?

I'll shut up now. Really great build.

.flg.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Dan, took me a bit to figure out what you meant. Yes, you could use a foot to pull start an engine BUT you will not have the "finess" (dexterity?) that you get with your hands. Good chance to break the pull start.
The HF has an easy enough effort to crank up.
Now, the ten horse that is on a mower I have is another story. If that one was on a bike- you would need to tie the bike to a tree to start it.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
My bad for rambling on your thread. I had 3 or 4 designs in mind for one and your build is just perfect and got me thinking.

Scotto said it perfect "cleverly engineered"

Great build!

She

Apr 28, 2012
NY
I know this was a while ago...but love the stealth. Planning something similar. Good job. Hows it working out.