My First Motor Bike Build! 3G Isla Vista !

GoldenMotor.com

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Alrighty here is my first ever build! Thanks Gearnut for the sideline help :) 48 cc grubee.

I plan on flushing out the head prior to fireing her up. So the muffler and spark plug is not on yet. Plus I am getting a new plug and dont have that yet - tomorrow. The bike is a 3G Isla Vista. So only thing left to do is flush motor, add new plug, add muffler and secure to frame and firer the ***** up!

The build went smooth and I think it looks real clean. I am a tad worried about the sprocket mount. I used both rubber mounts but left the dust cap under sprocket that is on rear hub. When I tightened everything I may have scrunched that cover a tad and I can feel a bit of resistence. I figure fugit see what happens maybe it will wear in good. The sprocket fit perfect on the hub without the outer rubber mount but I didnt feel I had enough clearance for chain. Next build, same bike, got it and motor already, I will machine off excess on dust cover for a perfect fit.

I improvised on the down tube mount inverting the bracket and using a universal mounting kit. Seems tight and solid..we'll see...Oh yea thats the booster bottles you see :\ I have talked ot the guy who makes them and feel confident the system will make it idle smoother and run a tad cleaner and thats all I expect. It may take a bit of tweaking we'll see...Bu tthey look so dam cool :)

Any last minute advice is very welcome! It is raining here on the Oregon Coast for the next few days so any last minute tweaks a possibility if ya got any suggestions let em rip mons!

Attachments

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
WHAT 148 VIEWS AND NOT ONE REPLY?????

COME ON IT SUX OR WHAT????

I figured at least someone would diss me on the front motor mount....

...or wait it is such a bad ass build it leaves everyone one speechless.... =>

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
lol

ok, I'll reply!

Looks like you did a pretty nice job on your motorized bicycle!
Have fun!

...I really feel a motorized bicycle needs to have at least rim brakes. 2 of 'em! Perilous to rely upon a lonely coaster brake! Be cautious.

The boost bottles value is controversial.
<I> feel they might have value in smoothing out the pulse at very low rpm and would like to see some sort of engineering proof of that. never ran one, myself.

Oh, I'm battling with ht engine mounting right now... Whew! it just ain't a perfect world!
I suspect it would be a good idea to keep an eye on tightening all those nuts and bolts holding your mount in place.

Best
rc

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
lol

ok, I'll reply!Looks like you did a pretty nice job on your motorized bicycle!
Have fun!
...I really feel a motorized bicycle needs to have at least rim brakes. 2 of 'em! Perilous to rely upon a lonely coaster brake! Be cautious.

The boost bottles value is controversial.
<I> feel they might have value in smoothing out the pulse at very low rpm and would like to see some sort of engineering proof of that. never ran one, myself.

Oh, I'm battling with ht engine mounting right now... Whew! it just ain't a perfect world!
I suspect it would be a good idea to keep an eye on tightening all those nuts and bolts holding your mount in place.

Best
rc
Thanks for the brakes heads up. I been thinkng hard on that. But I am afraid to go over 30 in my Lincoln town car so i doubt ill get it going faster then 20-25, but still gunna do that anyway...

We used to use similar boosters on RC cars and they would really make them hop! Not sure if it will translate to the bike motor though, but they look cool, are a converstaion peice, and I like supporting small business.

i'm speechless...just joking. nice ride fugit hope you enjoy it as much as i enjoy mine.

two thumps up on your first build
Thanks man :)

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
oh and yea thanks on this too. I used gap filling nail hardener on every bolt I tightened as per other recommendations in other threads. I am waiting on the engine mounts from bikeberry I think Manic Mechanic makes. They look great and tidy! It is forecast to rain here another week so I am in no hurry to fire her up and got nothing but time.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
What is "flushing out the head"?

Why not just remove it and look?
Just going to mix up some oil/gas mixture and rinse the inside out through the spark plug hole and out the muffler port in case there is metal shavings in there. I would take off the head but my shop is all cluttered with a remodel - all stacked up and in shambles at the moment and I have little access to anything, not even the workbench, so this is the best second fast option...

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
All you need is a 10 mm wrench. The same one you used to build the bike.

Really, it will be faster (and safer) than pouring gas through the motor.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
thanks man really, but my tourqe wrench is deep in a freezer behind tons of other crap. Plus I have no back up gasket in the event i fugit up that would suck.

I do plan on adding new screws to head at least but for now it is simple enough.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
May I suggest you simply raise the piston to TDC and blow it out with compressed air?

You don't need a torque wrench either. I've never used one and I never will.

How do you know the head bolts are torqued correctly now?

You trust the Chinese? The same guys you think filled up the cylinder with chips?

I would trust my wrist more than the Chinese.

Really, don't pour a cup of gas down the spark plug hole and think all is well.

Really. Don't.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
You don't need a torque wrench either.
Im too anal not to once I get started.

How do you know the head bolts are torqued correctly now?
haha good point but dont know there are filings in there either...

You trust the Chinese?
hey now i lub the chinese! cute little fuggers!

May I suggest you simply raise the piston to TDC and blow it out with compressed air?
Air compressor is easier to get to then the torque wrench :)

Really, don't pour a cup of gas down the spark plug hole and think all is well.

Really. Don't.
LOL why not. I was gunna put some in a sports drink bottle that I can sqeeze, add a tube to end of bottle, insert into head and sqeeze and rinse. I'll be in the middle of my yard outside, no static electricity, no cigarettes, and not next to my burn barrel or fire pit. I have a long funnel set up at the exhaust port into a bucket and wala... I will give it an hour or two to evaporate before closing her up too...

It would suck to close it up and firer her up right away and get a head fragments in my scrotum but I think i will be fine. It would make for some good pictures though :) Talk about getting some head =P

I do appreciate your concern however but I think I will be fine. Are you just worried about the combustion possibility while doing it or lighting up the head when I start it?

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Go for it baby.

I wouldn't do it, but that's just me.

I get it I appreciate the concern...but why not? ...my first idea was the air compressor but so much crap to go through...

plz tell me what the problem may be that you are concerned with...

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Like I said, it would be much easier to just remove the head and look.

That would also be the perfect time to locktite the bottom of the studs into the crankcase so they don't come out the next time you remove the head.