Moonshine

GoldenMotor.com

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
That's right, the revenuners have been paid.

Also not distilled thru old radiators, so you don't have to worry about lead poisoning - :)

This stuff is pretty good. I was expecting a neutral taste like vodka, but this has an "earthy" flavor to it. Also very smooth. It was better than I was expecting.

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Pour some in a glas ash tray and light if off, if burns with a clean blue flame its the good stuff, if it burns with a yellow flame its the bad stuff.
buzzard

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
You guys really drink DIY whiskey?

This stuff I bought as a novelty as I was picking up the Thanksgiving turkey at the grocery store. It was better than I expected.

It's just un-aged wheat whiskey made in a copper pot still, all nice and legal and cost $25/liter.

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
I hope that stuff makes your Thanksgiving. The detainees on work release tell me old spice and koolaid is pretty good stuff. I don't think I'd want to try that.
buzzard

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I get mine from an old army buddy in South Carolina when I'm up that way. And yes, it comes in a Mason Jar. Nice pretty blue flame. The guy uses a stainless steel still. Good stuff!

But my drink of choice is Maker Mark Bourbon.

Here is a barrel label at Makers with my name on it. Middle row, 3rd down.

Terry

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I used the Four Roses Whiskey mixed with a dash of vegetable oil in the toy model glow plug two stroke air plane engine and it ran OK. The engine worked better than with rubbing alcohol.

I think most of that is denatured by adding something that will have a fragrance so you know it is not good and will make you die if you drink it, but is actually not wood alcohol.

Aint that something, you got good stuff and make it bad, but then you save on having to make an ATF Seal to put on the bottle top.

Measure Twice

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I still have to try some Makers Mark.

I got into Knob Creek a while ago and it's right next on the shelf at the store.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I miss old Popcorn Sutton. He made the best shine. He used an all-stainless still and no lead anywhere, so his shine was safe. Wasn't cheap though, but I couldn't get Steve to tell me what he paid. That man could teach a sailor some cuss words. And he had an arrest record longer than the Statue of Liberty's arm. All for refusing to stop making shine.

That shine would make your butt hurt ('cause you could land on it if you drank the shine too fast).

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
moonshiiiiiiiiine . I work in this little club running sound an lights for various bands (hobbyjob w bennifits music an drink )well there is this country band that stops in every year for turkey day , sure enough the last 3 years the lead singer brings a gallon jug of homemade apple cinimon shine DELICIOUS STUFF ....... let me tell you drink to much of that an its TO THE MOON ALICE !

jolfstn

Oct 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
Allen: There was this fantastic documentary about Popcorn Sutton on PBS, they re run it sometimes. Called "The Last One". You are so fortunate to have tried his wares. I don't know if you've seen it, but the old man off-ed himself rather than face a lengthy prison sentence, but first recorded the documentary and sold his recipe to a distillery, to leave something for his wife.

Attachments

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Well the jug is still more than half full.

Like I said, this was a novelty.

It's more expensive than bourbon and I prefer bourbon.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
Last time i drank a bottle of whiskey like that , i woke up the next day or two , face down in the dirt beside the BBQ , with three hockeypuck t-bone steaks stuck to the grill .
Never did find that other shoe . ( least my pants where still on )

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
That's what I mean.

You can buy a nice bourbon whiskey for less than this stuff and it tastes much better.

If this cost a dollar a liter and not $25 a liter then the value balance would tilt.

I ain't never drinkin' some DIY stuff. DIY motorbikes are dangerous enough - :)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Allen: There was this fantastic documentary about Popcorn Sutton on PBS, they re run it sometimes. Called "The Last One". You are so fortunate to have tried his wares. I don't know if you've seen it, but the old man off-ed himself rather than face a lengthy prison sentence, but first recorded the documentary and sold his recipe to a distillery, to leave something for his wife.
I am lucky to have tasted Popcorn's shine, but my buddy Steve is luckier. He bought it from the man. I would have liked to have been there. I heard about how he died. I can't blame him for not wanting to die in prison. From all I've seen of him on PBS and Discovery, he looked, sounded, and acted like every stereotype of the cranky, moonshine cookin' hillbilly/mountain man. It's sad to think he was the last of that kind, probably the best.