possible blown head gasket

GoldenMotor.com

barryd

Aug 3, 2011
Jackson,Tenn
My son was riding his bike motorized bike last week and he said he was riding at a fast speed and all of a sudden the motor made a load pop and he shut it off and pedalled his bike home.I got it started but it seems like it lost alot of power and it will not idle on its own.if you keep giving it gas it will stay running,but sluggish to me.does this seem like a head gasket . Please help Barryd:-||

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Could be anything. My head gaskets that blew gave plenty of visible evidence with exhaut/oily leakage evident on the cooling fins.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Like said, look for visible oily residue around the head to cylinder surfaces. When I blew the one and only (on my 1st build) that is exactly what happened to us. Pulling the head off is a easy task to inspect the head gasket. When installing torque the head to between 150 175 INCH POUNDS.

Other useful information can be found here.....
Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I would check the exhaust gasket first, specially if you "ported" it out to match the head. Exhaust gasket is the easiest to fix and easiest to find, they do blow sometimes, give it a look see... Anything that opened up to cause a air leak will make your motor run crappy with no idle etc...

tomg

Oct 19, 2011
albuquerque
So, I have the exact same thing happened to me as the original post, I was going down hill fairly fast, then the engine just lost power suddenly, before that I was hiting 20-25 per hour no problem, now I'm lucky to get 17-18 miles per hour top speed and it feels like the engine is working too hard. I do see some black oily leakage around the cooling fins... do you think Ihave a blown head? and If so how can I tell?

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
So, I have the exact same thing happened to me as the original post, I was going down hill fairly fast, then the engine just lost power suddenly, before that I was hiting 20-25 per hour no problem, now I'm lucky to get 17-18 miles per hour top speed and it feels like the engine is working too hard. I do see some black oily leakage around the cooling fins... do you think Ihave a blown head? and If so how can I tell?
"Like "Al.Fisherman" said, look for visible oily residue around the head to cylinder surfaces. When I blew the one and only (on my 1st build) that is exactly what happened to us. Pulling the head off is a easy task to inspect the head gasket. When installing torque the head to between 150 175 INCH POUNDS."