is there a new scam out there

GoldenMotor.com

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i have a honda listed on craigs list. keep getting emails from people who say there out of the country in the military. they want to buy the bike with payment through pay pal and have a shiper come pick it up. is this a scam and how does it work.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I tried selling a car recently on Craigslist and i had the same issue, they are after your paypal details i believe..... i looked online to see if there is a danger in giving out your payapal account, some said it was dangerous, others said it was totally harmless as you have the password..... i just erred on the side of caution.

But yeah i had the same thing, i received text messages but a name would come up rather then a number and saying they were working offshore on oilrigs and could not get to a phone and would like to buy my car, and if they could get the details for my account..... i declined.

I became very suspicious when i received offers for the car greater then what i was asking...... and site unseen....... who does that? No-one

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
i have a honda listed on craigs list. keep getting emails from people who say there out of the country in the military. they want to buy the bike with payment through pay pal and have a shiper come pick it up. is this a scam and how does it work.
This is a variation on a scam that has been around forever.
They will send you a fake payment with extra money included to pay
the so called made up shipper.
Then they ask you to send the extra money to the shipper which is
really an agent for an out of country scammer or they will get the
money directly.
However this money sent to the shipper is your real cash and when the
PayPal or the check to the bank bounces guess who they come after?

Playing with these scammers can be amusing and I have a few not very
convincing fake checks and a pretty good looking fake postal money order
but it doesn't have the watermark and stripe.
They send the fake checks and money orders with overnight delivery from
stolen UPS or Fedex accounts using an accomplice in the US so there is no
cost to the scammers except to print up some fake checks.

If they are using PayPal then the account has been hacked or stolen.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Recently here in Denver there have been several incidents of people being robbed when they take their merchandise to meet the proposed buyer. Most people don't want strangers coming to their home so they arrange a meeting to make the sale. That's where they get robbed, not only of what they're selling but whatever valuables thay are carrying. In one case they took the guys car too.
Personally, I stay away from Craig's. Too many unscrupulous people out there anymore.
Tom

Last edited:

NewOrleansFlyer

Jun 27, 2011
Montana
Lots of scams on CL. Deal locally, be careful. That being said, I bought my C-50 Suzuki from a guy 600 miles away off CL. But, believe me, I was on it. Don't get scammed.