1999 Knuckle redux

GoldenMotor.com

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
FWIW, felt it needed to be completely redone. It started with the Wald 8069 bars on the RS Dart 2 forks, then I had to have a Sturmey Archer set (X-FDD, X-RD3), Weinmann DH-39 wheels wrapped in Bontrager Hanks. Then I decided to have the frame powdercoated because it deserved it. The frame triangle is a bit small for the SBP mount and HS 142F engine, but it along with the Honda 4G barely fits lol

More pics on a better camera coming soon!

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
Bumpin this up. See, when I was building my bike, I made a few posts and at least 2 other members used my somewhat rare tires shortly after. Maybe it's a coincidence, but at the time I was trying to compete in the EZ Motorbikes contest. Those that know know that was a disaster, mayhap partly because of me being so secretive. Anyways.

My build is like no other, really. It may be one of the most difficult bikes to just get on and ride when the motor is running. It's worthy of it's nickname "OCD" for sure. Tricky and sings it's own song when treated at 90% or less of it's capability. I still have a couple things to address, but she made it to 2K today! :D

LifeSeemsDead

Jul 21, 2011
SoTX
Congrats, brother! She's looking good, and seeing the old incarnation in front of the water jet makes me think of how many things like drop outs, gussets, springer rockers, triple trees, engine mounts and jackshaft housings could be getting blasted out..

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
@ Scoot: do a search on that, I haven't heard anything for awhile.

@ LSD, rustycase & killer: thanks guys!

Well, looks like the Bontrager Hanks gotta go. My rear Hank was destroyed about 10 days ago during a nasty flat @ 26MPH.
Still can't keep the remaining tire from turning on my rim. I've lost 6 tubes from cut valve stems in 2200 miles between front and rear.
I've tried everything short of gluing the bead on the rim with something lol

SO, I borrowed the front tire+tube from my other bike aka "Alehauler III". The thing is, the "III" has the wheels and tires from my first MaB, the original "Alehauler"!
This tire, a Sun-branded flametread is 4 y/o, been Slime'd twice and has over 4500 miles on it! Never a flat on the front, and it has 60-70% of it's tread left.
Right now, it's my temporary rear tire on "OCD". Well, I put another 150 miles or so on it and the tire hasn't moved on the rim.
I guess it's time to get new tires.

I'm on the fence about the 26x2.5 Maxxis Hookworms. They are fat, sticky, and seem to be durable.
I definitely have the frame clearance, but my quick-release Planet Bike fenders are only 60mm wide lol
OTOH, me + "OCD" = 3. 300lbs. The fat tire might do me some good! But what if they spin on the rim?

^^ if you look closely, you can see the ziptie job I had to do because Baird got on my bike while the wheelstand was down. rotfl
The dang wheelstand's weld has been busted on that side for months. Bike has to be stripped and turned upside down to fix.

VV all 3 chains have over 500 miles on them. They are extremely worn out but aren't quite critical yet lol
I'm workin out a total regearing. Also if you look closely, you can spot the .002" shimstock ziptied around the seat tube :D

Last edited: