Clutch issues!

GoldenMotor.com

Deathdoll

Jul 29, 2011
Arizona
Hello! I am new here, been lurking quite a bit trying to figure out how to get everything running. Well I've been searching all day, have tried almost everything and right now it seems hopeless.

This is a video I just made trying to explain the issue I am having:
‪Need clutch help on 2 stroke bicycle motor‬‏ - YouTube

The clutch does nothing at all.... I dont know what to do. :<
Please help! And pictures really help as well!
Thank you guys.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
DD, are you missing the clutch release cover, and all those associated parts???

You are NOT going to be able to push in that clutch rod with your finger!

Good luck
rc

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
On new engines, or those that have not been used for some time, sometimes the clutch pads get stuck to the clutch plates.
You can either tap the rod with a piece of wood and hammer to unstick the pads, or you can take off the clutch cover, remove the flower nut and clutch plate, it might be a wee dab hard to take off the plate because the pads are stuck to it, but once you remove it, you unstick those pads, and now it can be reinstalled,, and it will act normal.

Deathdoll

Jul 29, 2011
Arizona
On new engines, or those that have not been used for some time, sometimes the clutch pads get stuck to the clutch plates.
You can either tap the rod with a piece of wood and hammer to unstick the pads, or you can take off the clutch cover, remove the flower nut and clutch plate, it might be a wee dab hard to take off the plate because the pads are stuck to it, but once you remove it, you unstick those pads, and now it can be reinstalled,, and it will act normal.
Thank you for your help! I tried the hitting it lightly to unstick, but was mildly reluctant to go in on the other side with the flower nut and what not, but I thought that might be the next step.

Deathdoll

Jul 29, 2011
Arizona
DD, are you missing the clutch release cover, and all those associated parts???

You are NOT going to be able to push in that clutch rod with your finger!

Good luck
rc
Haha! I took off the cover to show in the video the issue I was having, but thank you!

Deathdoll

Jul 29, 2011
Arizona
Okay so took off the flower nut, it was stuck and unmovable, put it back on loosely, too loose at first there was no resistance with the clutch engaged and not, so tightened it. Everything seemed to be going so well! but then the tire completely locked up. The clutch does nothing again. /:

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Are we sure the tire locking up is the clutch, or is it maybe a chain issue? I noticed your chain was way loose, if it is as loose as it looks it could be binding on the sprocket.

Big hint when you're adjusting your clutch - lock the clutch lever first, then adjust the flower nut to get the plate just above the pucks/pads.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
LOL

Sry DD... a lot can be lost in typing the situation and what really going on!

Did not know if you had took that clutch release cover off, or if it was absent... stranger things have happened!

Seems like the DTG is on a good path for diagnosis...

anyhow, no need to pop that cover just to try and depress the clutch rod without using the clutch handle... try a cheater, like this with a wrench.

and I'll toss another option into the fray... is the chain riding up on a wobbly rear sprocket and binding up on the teeth to cause rear wheel lockup???

Also, the clutch cable could have slipped on the cable barrel nut if it was not tight enough. I put a second one on my own just to make sure that did not happen when out on the road

WoW!
You are on your way to becoming an expert at ht repair! :)
Fun little thangs to work on, aren't they?

Best
rc

Attachments

Deathdoll

Jul 29, 2011
Arizona
Ah thank you guys so much! It was a chain issue, it was caught on the engine sprocket. So got that fixed, then the engine wouldn't start, so we figured out it was a spark plug issue, and loosened it. So now it starts, things seem to go awesomely! then the chain keeps falling off. Tried tightening the chain, and it still does it.

We bought a hub that had the sprocket already on it, because it was cheaper than getting an adapter sprocket thing for the hub I currently have, but when we got it in the house, I noticed the entire wheel was like, kind of bent. So I'm a bit worried I wasted $50 on something that wont work.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
That worries me that you loosened the spark plug - you might want to really consider a nonstock plug. You're in AZ, so you'd wanna run a cooler plug, I like the NGK BR7HS personally.

For your sprocket, you should just need to recenter it, that'd explain it falling off. Mind putting up a pic or vid of your wheel?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
LoL

Welcome to the world of HT, DD !

It's THE cheapest fun u can get on two powered wheels out of a box, then u start replacing all the $#@! and can double your $'s, or more... :)
(Can u say 'Morini' ?)

Not really sure what you bought instead of a hub adapter, pics really do help a lot!

A hub adapter really does resolve a LOT of problems with the HT kits.

... I'll post pics over in Dan's new cheapo tool thread, but I found it is necessary to buy a little chainbreaker at wallyworld, or even a decent bike shop, to take two links out of the chain that comes with a kit.

If you do not, there is too much angle on the chain as it goes around the tensioner, and too much torque is applied to it when bump starting...and too much drag around the tensioner under normal running... THEN, people end up with the serious problem of the tensioner maybe being too loose and getting pulled into the spokes. Instant STOP to all fun!

Bottom line, shorter chain is better than long, as long as it is not too tight.
Warble in the rear sprocket can cause the chain to come off unexpectedly... it must run true.

The second pic shows the angle in the chain that has not been cut. Not good.

Pics are good, Youtube is even more fun!

Best
rc

Attachments

Last edited:

Hacksawdecap

Jul 20, 2011
Phoenix
Oh, Shes riding the motorized bike around. I live in the same city and you can't really miss her with her multi colored hair. She zips by me all the time going about 25 mph. It's nice seeing a girl into motorized bikes.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
LoL

Well, that's how it goes...
Give em the keys and they don't write, they don't call... lol

Glad to hear ur helping her directly... EZr that way!
probably needs a smaller jet if everything else is stock...

Tnx
rc

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
Im also having clutch issues.

How hard am I supposed to pull on clutch lever?

I had to readjust that darn cable at least 8 times. That arm keeps getting closer and closer inside.

BTW, I am running a new 80cc RAW kit. That might have something to do with it?