Pull Starting a Super Rat

GoldenMotor.com

driftology

Jun 22, 2010
campbell, ca
Ive done some searching and i cant find anyone that has put a pull starter on the gt5-sr. im using a spb shifter kit and it is a pain to get this thing started with the extra high compression. i know the pull starters arent the best things in the world but my biggest question is will it attach to the new magnet design in this motor?

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I'm guessing NO, it won't work, because the components in the pullstarter are gonna be about 50 times weaker than those in your bicycle. I hate to say it, but pedal starting is the only good option with the high comp engines like the super rat :)

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Well, I think it will fit, no problem there probably, but I think it will break on the first try, just warning you...

Lecheroandpuertorro

May 1, 2011
Puerto Rico
I'm guessing NO, it won't work, because the components in the pullstarter are gonna be about 50 times weaker than those in your bicycle. I hate to say it, but pedal starting is the only good option with the high comp engines like the super rat :)
Hi friends
when you said high comp engine in reference as super rat if you have idea how many is the compresion in the super rat engine and what is the advantage?
thanks...

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Higher compression can make more torque I believe, I'm not entirely sure though. I couldn't find the compression of the super rat

driftology

Jun 22, 2010
campbell, ca
what ever it is, its way too high lol. i have to pretty much jump on the pedals to get it to kick over and i go through one head gasket per tank. and yes i have faced both mating surfaces that sandwich the gasket.

driftology

Jun 22, 2010
campbell, ca
i got a pull start kit and i am sad to report i missed really obvious issue. the pull starter only works on motors that use 4 bolts for the mag cover. the super rats use 3 bolts. what a bummer...

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Well, you see, that's the thing, I think Grubee has already developed these products but not all of them are imported to the U.S. So unless you're a dealer, you probably will never have a chance of getting one

driftology

Jun 22, 2010
campbell, ca
well i guess my pull starter issues are solve in the way of an NT speed carb. she starts up the first time every time. just a side note, my cdi magnet poles were resting against the magnet. no wonder the super rat didnt want to start up. so i guess this thread is done.