I think i'm missing a piece on my muffler / exhaust.

GoldenMotor.com

Murph

Jun 3, 2011
Illinois
As i've mentioned elsewhere, I got this bike already assembled from a friend.

I notice I'm missing something from my muffler/exhaust. What is it / is it important / can i get new one?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
You are missing the muffler end cap.

It is important for some form of proper back pressure as well as enabling the muffler to actually muffle the loudness of the exhaust sound.

You can get a new one by buying a similar muffler from one of the vendors. The end caps are not sold separately. Be careful though, some mufflers are welded together and do not have the bolt on end cap, you could always replace the whole thing if that ends up to be the case. Also, someone here may just sell you an old end cap they have lying around.

Rambler

Jul 25, 2009
U.S.A.
When I lost my muffler's endcap, I went back to retrieve it, and watched as a car ran it over. one thing you can do is to find a big fender washer, one that is big enough to cover the end of the exhaust pipe, then dome it with a ball peen hammer and another even larger washer, one with a center hole that is a little smaller than the outer diameter of the washer you intend to dome. To do this place the largest washer on a bench, or the anvil part of a vice, then take the washer you are going to dome, and center it so that it is concentric to the larger washer, next, you hit the washer with the ball end of the hammer. Once the washer is domed, you drill one or two holes for the exhaust to escape from. Then attach the washer to the muffler, so that the end is convex.

I set my bike up this way and have had no problems with it. It is a lot cheaper than buying a new muffler just for the sake of cannibalizing the end cap.

Last edited:

Murph

Jun 3, 2011
Illinois
That sounds easy enough to do. How far does the washer have to be domed? the way you described it I imagine it not being very convex (only gaining as much height as the thickness of the larger washer).

I guess i'd need to find a washer (the larger one) with like a 2" diameter center hole? that might be tough. (I've never looked for one that large)

Also, any suggestions as to how many / how big of holes to drill?

Rambler

Jul 25, 2009
U.S.A.
The washer doesn't have to be domed very much, and a decent hardware store should have a fender washer with a 1 inch hole.

I used a 3/8" drill bit, and a smaller one. Just needs to be domed enough to clear that little shank on the threaded post sticking out of your bike's exhaust pipe, just eyeball it, it won't be perfect, but at least it'll provide some back pressure for your engine.

Murph

Jun 3, 2011
Illinois
Bah, the hardware store comes close but just short of a washer big enough to cover it.

also, the bolt is significantly offcenter - is that normal? it's making it a pain.

Murph

Jun 3, 2011
Illinois
Tried some soda can stuff, didn't last (also, I was an idiot and cut my fingertip on the can argggg).

So, i went to the hardware store and found a 'iron pipe flange' from the section with sink hardwear, a decent sized fender washer, a regular washer or two, some locktite, and made this:

and it seems to be working out alright!

it's got one (badly made) 5/16th inch hole.managed to size it so it's right up against the shank on the bolt so it seems to hold steady :)