Advertising Question.

GoldenMotor.com
There is a guy selling "motor bikes" on craigslist and states you don't need a license to drive it. I contacted the guy, and it turns out the motor is 80/66cc motor. (craigslist ad here)

Here in Idaho, motorized bicycles fall under the moped definition, 50cc and lower, under 30mph. Anything over that and it is a "motorbike", and requires titles, registered, insurance and a drivers license.

Apparently this guy is trying to start a "business" selling motorized bikes, which I like the idea of. Problem is the false advertising. I don't want these guys handing out false information because it could eventually affect us legal riders. The guy doesn't care about the legalities. He claims his uncle is the town sheriff, and that he cleared these bikes as legal, even though his bikes go 35mph+, and being over the size limit.

Here is the text log so you can see his reaction. Question is, how should I deal with this? Ignore him and go on my way, inform craigslist that he is giving false advertisments or ??? I don't want new legislation that could limit these bikes even further.

Afterthought, does a 38cc motor exist? Pretty sure they don't, but would like to be proven wrong there. Would love to see a 38cc motor with a 50t sprocket climb the canyon wall.

(edited phone number, spelling is all original.)
me: Curious about the motor bike. What cc is the motor? $500 each or for both?
+1208XXXXXXX: 8occ and a pies we also can make more on any bike and color
me: What size rear sprocket do you have on them?
+1208XXXXXXX: 5o tooth on one it also milled head so it has a 9to1 compreshon raitio and has ported and poleshed it has a preformans carb and exhaust it super torkie and insalated frame the other is stock and 32 tooth
me: Just to let you know, you are lying when you say you don't need a drivers license. These bikes fall under the definition of a moped under Idaho statute 49-114 section G, if under 48cc. Over 48cc it is considered a motorbike and needs titled, registered, drivers license, and insurance. Only the 48cc motors don't require those things. Check out http://itd.idaho.gov/dmv/vehicleservices/documents/IDChart23WV.pdf if you don't believe me
+1208XXXXXXX: (RE:1/3)Alredy talk to city troper if it dosnt go over 35 and no transmishon and has working pedals you dont but you have to yours signals and follow trafic laws and cant be on side walks My frind has a suspended lisens and we wonted to start this bissnes and cant avertise if you cant ride them so we ask them
me: Read the statute, it has to be under 30 mph and the motor has to be under 50cc, I said 48 but that's because they don't make a 50cc motor. They actually don't make an 80cc motor either it's only 66cc. I have done alot more research than you obviously. If you read that chart at the link I sent you you will see they are classified as a motorbike. You're only going to get people in trouble riding your bike if they don't know better I admire the business and it would work fine, but you can't use the 66cc motors. If you use the 48cc motors you are perfectly legal
+1208XXXXXXX: (RE:3/3)Ya we read that and took it by them and ask thats what they said you can call and ask
me: I have talked to multiple twin falls sherrifs deputies, 4 lawyers, Idaho district attorney, and 4 ITD employees. Over 48cc you need license, title, registration, and insurance. What's wrong with only having the 48cc motors so you guys are legal. I actually like your business idea
+1208XXXXXXX: Ok since your riding my balls when we had the head miled we checked its just abit over 38cc they list them as 8occ when you by the engen so were they already say that and pepol complain that that is to small not understandimg that they still go good and not whonting to explain we stuck with saying 8occ were certified tecs and meshered at my frends dads shop the dimond mashean and my uncal is the sheriff tom carter he said it sounded fine the moter evan came with a 38.6cc sticker he said any cops hasal us show them that

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Meh - I'd not sweat it, there's no truth in advertising and no way to effectively prevent the exaggerations. You could "report" it ofc, but the fact remains that almost all retailers of any product will naturally claim whatever they think will promote their business.

It's up to the consumer to realize this and educate themselves regarding the product.

I don't think some random craigslist ad is going to effect any new legislation. What would cause them to enforce/create more restrictive laws would be a sudden increase in non compliant vehicles being utilized in a reckless fashion - but again, that's dependent on the consumer's decision to either knowingly violate existing laws or to believe the claims of some self styled businessman that can't even be bothered to spell check their advertisement...

I dunno about you, but that alone would cause me to at least question the quality of their work, let alone the validity of their statements lol

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
there's the same thing going on in california. there's so many bikes on craig's that say the same thing, and most of those sellers aren't blatantly lying, they're just ignorant of the laws.

if it's a private seller, i don't really care, but if it's someone who's trying to capitalize on the popularity and start a garage business, i might send 'em a message with a link to the laws.

i've had many responses basically telling me to mind my own business, but the majority of the people say they'll look into it, then i see they;ve removed the false statements on their ads.

it's one thing to just be stupid, and another to outright lie about it. there was one "company" claiming it's the "perfect thing to ride if you lost your license from a DUI."

if you get busted here with a suspended license, you can go to jail, just like if you were driving a car.

to me, it just comes down to ethical business practices. most of the sellers build cheap, junky bikes and are just trying to make a buck, and they won't be around long anyway.

just ignore the guy. tell your friends not to buy anything from him, and tell anyone else looking to buy a bike to stay away from him. that's about all you can really do (besides flagging all his ads...;))

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Better check to see if riding his balls is legal too....it's not what you ride , it's how you ride! That goes for talkin about riding also . It only takes one screwball to spoil it for everyone . What else can you do ,you tried.

I would be happy with them just changing their ads. There is a difference between knowing you have a bigger motor than your supposed to and riding anyway. you know not to mess around and bring attention to yourself.

I understand exaggerating your product, like BarelyAwake said, but there is a difference between stretching the truth and flat out lying. Like the difference between a car dealer saying a car gets 40mpg, and saying you don't need a license to drive it.

But for the people that buy the story, it could bring bad attention on us legal riders. I doubt it will never come to measuring the engines, but you know people are gonna brag and tell the cops they are riding the bigger motors. Then the cops are going to think we are all riding illegal.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Judging from the spelling and grammar, that person is uneducated and ignorant, and it looks like he wishes to remain that way.