GXH50 vs Chinese Clones

GoldenMotor.com

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
Hi Dax, I don't do waterpumps, norhave a dyno. The testbed is a specific bike, with a speedo, and ultimately 3 stock pipes to be modified during the test.

The engines will be put on the stock grube gearbox to asses each engines "roadability" abd tested with the various pipes. Then I will modify the pipes and repeat the process till I am satisfied with the results.

Then I will ditch the grube box, and set the engine up in a different fashion.

This is all about motorbikes, nothing else.

Mike
Mike,

The titan motor is not compatable with the Grubee gearbox. the mounting area on the engine is different. The bolt pattern is smaller and the engine case shrouds the clutch.

ocscully

ricland

Jul 27, 2008
I have the Honda GXH50 on my bike. It is a pushrod overhead valve design. I cannot compare it to the clone as I have never had the clone.

What I can say is this- I have disabled the governor. With a Grubee gearbox and a 48 tooth sprocket- I can exceed 35 mph...but at that speed the engine is way up in revs- not overrevved, but it's working (keep in mind that the JL Hoot and Grubee gearboxes have different ration so the same size sprocket does not mean the same thing with each gearbox). It pull extemely well from about 15 mph up and it cruises really happily at 25-30 mph. I weigh around 220-230 at 6'3".

As for noise, that's hard to quantify- I'd have to listen to the engines side by side. I really love the little Honda.

Hough, don't remember if you mentioned this or not, but where did you get the kit from? Not the engine, but the mounting kit and gearbox?

ricland

Fosscati

Jul 3, 2008
Ocean Shores, NSW
I now have all three kits - a Honda/Grubee, a HS/Grubee and a HS/Hoot.
The Honda engine has stuck fast since I took off the governor. It ran perfectly for a minute before I changed it from the stock motor to a bike motor but the motor won't turn over. I think something is stuch on the inside of the governor spindle and I'll need to open it up. It's not hydro-lock from fuel & oil in the cylinder or the rope pull mechanism.
All 3 motors have the same shaff dia. and keyway and same length within a few microns but the HS\Grubee kit I got from a Sydney supplier has a different choke that has to be cable operated so that's another lever to have where it's not wanted. This is a real bummer. The Hoot HS kit is attrocious around the clutch and bell housing and the keys are so badly made and forced in that you practically have to destroy them to get them out (see attached pictre of a key rammed into a keyway that it won't fit). They are really badly made and you can see it close up. So all three have problems.
The Honda has a nasty throttle to convert so it can be cable operated, the HS\Grubee has a ridiculous choke (but not all kits have this) that is a real headache and the Hoot well you'd do well to keep the HS motor, throw out the Hoot GB and get a Grubee GB and clutch. The clutches are made all over china and the Hoot one is really badly made. The Grubee one isn't that crash hot either. As for performance I think they are much of a likeness despite the gearing ratio of the Hoot being different. I'll soon know for sure but the Honda has a very little bit more oomph that might give a bit more pull on hills and possibly another one mph in top speed.

Attachments

ricland

Jul 27, 2008
I now have all three kits - a Honda/Grubee, a HS/Grubee and a HS/Hoot.
The Honda engine has stuck fast since I took off the governor. It ran perfectly for a minute before I changed it from the stock motor to a bike motor but the motor won't turn over. I think something is stuch on the inside of the governor spindle and I'll need to open it up. It's not hydro-lock from fuel & oil in the cylinder or the rope pull mechanism.
All 3 motors have the same shaff dia. and keyway and same length within a few microns but the HS\Grubee kit I got from a Sydney supplier has a different choke that has to be cable operated so that's another lever to have where it's not wanted. This is a real bummer. The Hoot HS kit is attrocious around the clutch and bell housing and the keys are so badly made and forced in that you practically have to destroy them to get them out (see attached pictre of a key rammed into a keyway that it won't fit). They are really badly made and you can see it close up. So all three have problems.
The Honda has a nasty throttle to convert so it can be cable operated, the HS\Grubee has a ridiculous choke (but not all kits have this) that is a real headache and the Hoot well you'd do well to keep the HS motor, throw out the Hoot GB and get a Grubee GB and clutch. The clutches are made all over china and the Hoot one is really badly made. The Grubee one isn't that crash hot either. As for performance I think they are much of a likeness despite the gearing ratio of the Hoot being different. I'll soon know for sure but the Honda has a very little bit more oomph that might give a bit more pull on hills and possibly another one mph in top speed.
Maybe Cruiser should put an all-points bulletin out on the HS/Hoot. There's a company that's practically giving them away and now it's clear why.

But in reflection, you review doesn't really recommend the two alternatives either, does it?

By the way, if I bought a Honda, where could I find a mount kit for it>

ricland

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Frame mounted 4 strokes will not pull up very steep hills as well as the 70cc HT even with a 56T

you know i beg to differ, i had a 80cc 2 stroke for a year, rode it everywhere, it was well maintained and was running great! i thought it had good power, but now after purchasing a chinese 4 stroke it hauls up the hills, my 4 stroke has 3 times the power of my 80cc and its 10kph faster! and the powerband is usable and not unpredictable, i ran a 44t on both builds,

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
i have used the hau sheng chines clone and it ran great, always started fine, and i put over 1000kms on my stock hoot box before i sold it, last time i checked it was still running fine

domN8er

Aug 16, 2016
california
Hi fosscatti, I have been reading, and I somehow think the Honda's specs can be trusted, while others are suspect. I have read the specs over and over, and have also seen a very loose interepretation of specs, especially from the Grube site, where he quoates 2 different HP's on the same page!

The test bike currently has a 44, I do have 48, and 50 availble for my experiment. Ultimately I will not use a sprocket sandwiched on the rear wheel, tho as that is a problematic area, and always has been on these kits.

It is no accident that I am posting on both sites, as I want to reach as many as possible, and some are here, not there, or there and not here.

IF I could get REAL specs, I would change my opinion. Sadly, interent is full of "beliefs" and sometime short on True Facts.

I wish it were not so.

Mike
im not a expert but i have looked at the honda website for their gxh50 motor and the 142f and the only major difference i seen is that honda has a bunch of bells and whistles added to it what i mean is oil alert and honda actually has a reedvalve in their engine but most of what i seen makes me belive its all interchangeable the only possible way honda could have made theirs any better is the cam which you can order theirs and just throw it in your engine