Running fine at WOT then dies!

GoldenMotor.com

Joey

Sep 29, 2010
Australia, Syd
well i have a HT 66cc,
expansion chamber, (proper one)
36 tooth and speed carb,
my speed carb is cracked tho :( i tightened it too much, but it seems to be fine after sealing it abit and has a pretty good air tight seal on the manifold.
my c clip is in the middle,
and speed tops out at 31mph :( does that sound okey? and im also breaking in.. i haven't ran a whole tank through it yet..

my problem is that when i open up the throttle, and i go WOT up a hill after a while the engine just dies on me.. i have to stop and prime it up again to get fuel in the carb and she will fire right up and i'll be on my way.. does anyone know what the problem is?

J.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Check you fuel tank cap for proper venting. Sounds like a fuel flow problem. Try leaving the cap on the tank loose and see what happens. Let us know, please.
Tom

Joey

Sep 29, 2010
Australia, Syd
i tryed leaving the cap off and it is still the same.. the engine is starving fuel..
the engine is on an angle of about maybe 45?
also, i have another bike which has the fuel cap problem how can i fix this? get a new fuel cap?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
how much of an angle is your engine on?
I think what Baird was asking was carburetor angle, not so much engine angle. The carb should set reasonably level for the float to function properly.
Have you confirmed a good flow of fuel? Disconnect the fuel line from the carburetor and open the petcock. Anything more than a drip will suffice. If it only drips then you have a restriction in either the petcock or the in-tank filter which is attached, or should be, to the petcock inlet.
Carburetor float level is another possibility to check. Too low and you could be starving for fuel at high engine loads. By too low I mean the float is shutting off the fuel prematurely and leaving the bowl with less fuel that the engine requires. A high float level will promote flooding and fuel leaks at the carb.
If all looks good with the fuel/carb/float then start looking at your ignition. Do you have good connections at the spark plug wire at the CDI and top of the plug? What spark plug gap are you running? Check these things and get back to us, please.
Tom