3-gears worth even getting a shift kit for?

GoldenMotor.com

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
I got a 66cc coming in the mail. Gonna put it on my three speed cruiser. My question is-is it worth it to get a shift kit for only three gears? Would running it in third gear be faster than just running the original left sprocket hook-up? And what's the difference between the SBP shift kit and
Dax's? Thanks.

Last edited:

lreeves

Aug 8, 2009
Murfreesboro, TN
I got a 66cc coming in the mail. Gonna put it on my three speed cruiser. My question is-is it worth it to get a shift kit for only three gears? Would running it in third gear be faster than just running the original left sprocket hook-up? And what's the difference between the SBP shift kit and
Dax's? Thanks.
No.
I just put a shift kit on with 5 speeds. I have a lot of hills and thought it would be a great way to go.
I still do however, the Freewheel Hub lasted about 10 minutes.
I had to order a heavy duty free wheel $75 +
After I am done, I could have bought 2 complete engine kits for the price of one shift kit.

The company I got the shift kit from has offered to replace the freewheel but I don't think I could trust it on a long trip.
I think it was damaged just tring to start the engine.

A shift kit does make starting more of a problem. Can not drop the clutch to start it when it is free wheeling.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The point of a shiftkit as I see it isn't so much to make the bike "faster" - no more so than say swapping out the stock 44t for a 36 or w/e, it's to use the engine's effective RPM range more efficiently, which in turn increases acceleration and helps overall reliability and comfort by reducing RPMs at cruise speeds.

For this, I think three speeds more than adequate. Remember many automatic transmissions in cars are three speeds, it wasn't uncommon in some older standards either. I've said to more than one friend that while I love my Schwinn (no shiftkit) it's a heck of a lot like being stuck in 3rd in a 5 speed car - a lil boggy to get going, then it winds out too quickly, maxing out and screaming as I cruise at 30mph.

I will say that some 3 speed hubs just can't take it (older used ones in partic), those that can may be cost prohibitive - yet this is kinda a moot point as is even the three speed question as should the hub fail and/or you decide you need more gears - it's simple enough to add a rear derailleur and rear wheel w/sprockets, should it have come frm a 21 speed - now you'll have a seven speed shiftkit etc.

As for the freewheel bearing - yeah ya defo outa get the HD freewheel from the get-go, it's kinda a pricey item and it comprises much of the cost of the kit. I suspect the only reason they offer the lower quality "standard" kits w/o the HD bearing is because so many have lamented the cost of the kit in the first place... which, no offense to anyone - I think it's just crazy to try and compare the cost of a mass-produced in some hovel in China engine with a quality, custom specialty item like the SBP shiftkit *shrug*

As for "more of a problem to start" - I've heard this before and don't really understand it... sure, ya can't just drop the clutch while yer rolling, you actually hafta pedal. Why this is a problem I dunno - my Schwinn (no shiftkit) can't start w/o pedaling either as the compression is to great and it'll happily skid to a stop lol

There are some potential problems with getting a shiftkit - frame clearance and install can be a touch tricky, the kit's chains do need to be watched for proper tension, and while the clutch cover's fasteners can be reversed (I heartily recommend that mod too) to allow the cover to be removed w/o disassembling the shiftkit, should you need to service the clutch actuator arm or the engine's sprocket you'll need to remove that sideplate to get at it - not a big deal really, the clutch side is the complicated one (thus the reverse the fastener mod).

DJEEPER

Nov 9, 2009
Yorktown
here is my .02.

short answer? YES.

long answer? 3 speeds is much better than 1. you will have one heck of a jump, but being able to start out in 1st without pedaling is a nice perk.

you can ALWAYS upgrade to 7 speeds later. you will be taking the same route that i did.

your biggest enemy will be higher speeds. you need more gears to get that top speed. going from 2nd to 3rd will bog a little big and be harder on your engine to get up to speed.

DO IT

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
Hi lreeves

If you have any doubts about the SickBikeparts shift kit,,, they are completely unfounded.

I have now travelled over 5,000 kilometers (3,000 miles) on my shift kit and the one way bearing is still running like brand new, and i've never even oiled the thing in it's life (ok, maybe the black filthy sludge and goo that drips off the 2-stroke engine in great quantity has lubricated it somewhat).

I have a trailer setup that weighs 35 kilos (77 lbs) with the stuff i generally carry and approx 65 kilos fully loaded (143 lbs).
It's a good idea to get the SickBikeParts optional 30 tooth dished sprocket which attaches to the standard 36 tooth sprocket to give a super low hill climbing ratio if serious hill climbing ability is required.
If you need more even more pulling power, get the optional 48 tooth chainwheel and the optional 9 tooth jackshaft sprocket - with that combination and the new 9 speed Shimano 12-36T rear cassette, you will be able to pull 100 kilos (220 lbs) of cargo that makes you money in the bike courier business.

Just get the SickBikeParts shift kit and be done with it - you'll thank yourself.

Pics of my setup below.

Attachments

Last edited: