Building a New Mountain Bike

GoldenMotor.com

djpass7

Oct 13, 2014
Chico, CA
I have stripped down a Magna Dagger 24" mountain bike all the way to the frame. Its a great steel frame, and the motor fits good. It just got primered. The frame will be satin black and the handlebars/forks will be orange.

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Nice frame and you'll really like that black rustoleum too... it has a nice shine and it's really durable as well... That color combo you chose is gonna look great.

i also saw some of the other pics where you're building a torque pipe... Did you finish that pipe yet? and if so, how does it perform? I've heard that's one of the best 66cc pipes, just gotta make it yourself

djpass7

Oct 13, 2014
Chico, CA
No. I have not finished it yet, I have 4 of the 7 sections welded together. I also still need to get conduit for the header and stinger. When its done I will definitely let you know how it does.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Nice.... I saw the plans for this pipe last year and heard a lot of good stuff about it... maybe this spring I'll get a sheet metal roller for the shop and build one too, I got plenty enough metal and a tig welder, just need the roller...
My current pipe is a modified KTM 50 pipe and it works great for speed and ok for acceleration, but it's dented and ugly so it needs replaced once I'm ready to paint the bike.

I also saw a youtube Jaguar made demonstrating how quiet this pipe is when set up as a side bleed instead of having the stinger come out the back and it was amazing how quiet it got even with no muffler so when I make one I'd like to do the side bleed or weld in a plug so it can be set up either way depending on if I need more torque or more speed. Ive also heard the side bleed makes more torque from another site.

Anyway, good luck on your build and I'll be following it to see how it turns out.

djpass7

Oct 13, 2014
Chico, CA
Just painted the handlebars and forks yesterday. Have the derailer cables in place now.

Also, with the pipe, all I did was pound the metal on a piece of pipe to bend it so it can be done without a roller.

Pics

Last edited:

djpass7

Oct 13, 2014
Chico, CA
Got everything assembled today except dual brake lever, cranks, chainring and chain. I am waiting on a dual brake lever and bottom bracket cartridge.

Pics

Last edited:

djpass7

Oct 13, 2014
Chico, CA
Today got all of the parts assembled on the bicycle. I also got all of the motor parts installed except the sprocket (not here yet), chain, tensioner, and motor.

The motor will be a satin black to match the frame

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Nice looking progress... I had a solid black mountainbike whenni was younger and painted the fork neon green but it looked like it needed more green on the bike so I masked off the plastic chainguard on the front sprocket and.painted it as well to get a better balance of color. The seat post and brake calipers can also be painted for an even more complete look as well as the edges of the fins on the engine... that last part takes some patience butits a really nice finishing touch. When I do something like the fin edges its pretty easy to get on by shootingna little paint into the cap then use a small brush or q tip to apply the paint. Dunno if you're done with the painting but just a few ideas for ya... very nice job either way.

djpass7

Oct 13, 2014
Chico, CA
Yes very good ideas. I'm not sure if I will do more paint yet, but good advice to keep in mind for the future.

P.S. Maybe I could buy some wet clutch pucks from you in the future. I can't wait to see how your aluminum pucks turn out!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Got my latest build going for the first time today, rode it 10-12 miles for its maiden voyage, really surprised how good in runs so far.

best wishes and looking forward to hearing how the first ride goes.

Peace, Map

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Very sharp looking bike!! I like it a lot better now that it's assembled... Just the right amount of chrome on your front sprockets and rims... no more paint needed... Looks Great!!

I'm staying hush hush on the wet clutch project for now, but I do have a new and improved 3D model I'll be cutting out hopefully tomorrow if I have time at the shop... was all ready to do a test cut today and cut 72 pucks out of a sheet of aluminum then I started getting customers and they have to come first. ( I got a single puck 3D model too so I can send him a full 75 pieces, enough to make 5 sets).
I'll be sending that batch of cores to Cannonball so he can experiment with the materials better as well as adhesives etc, and I'm doing the same experimenting over here as I find time, then we compare results, and once these are proven then we will offer some out...
We MAY need a few extra beta testers with strong torquey engines tho... ;)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Very sharp looking bike!! I like it a lot better now that it's assembled... Just the right amount of chrome on your front sprockets and rims... no more paint needed... Looks Great!!

I'm staying hush hush on the wet clutch project for now, but I do have a new and improved 3D model I'll be cutting out hopefully tomorrow if I have time at the shop... was all ready to do a test cut today and cut 72 pucks out of a sheet of aluminum then I started getting customers and they have to come first. ( I got a single puck 3D model too so I can send him a full 75 pieces, enough to make 5 sets).
I'll be sending that batch of cores to Cannonball so he can experiment with the materials better as well as adhesives etc, and I'm doing the same experimenting over here as I find time, then we compare results, and once these are proven then we will offer some out...
We MAY need a few extra beta testers with strong torquey engines tho... ;)
i agree the bike is looking great....

Im also gonna be watching as the wet clutch project moves forward, this is very interesting .

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
I started a bike a week ago. I'm waiting for some parts. It's been good for me cause if I hang around the house too much I irritate my wife and she irritates me. Damn Cabin fever.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
It's a SAIL bought thru Amazon. Nice looker. Discs front and rear. Swapped out the twitchy suspension fork and did another triple tree. Pics in my album.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
It's a SAIL bought thru Amazon. Nice looker. Discs front and rear. Swapped out the twitchy suspension fork and did another triple tree. Pics in my album.
Nice bike... That Sail frame looks a LOT like my Roadmaster frame... I had a lot of fun shoehorning the engine into my frame and ended up welding mount tabs on the down tube to get a nice solid mount on mine.
I had the same problem with the original front fork being not so stable at higher speeds so I got a Noleen front end off ebay that costed more than the whole bike does, but it'll go as fast as I want it to now without even a hint of wobble or instability. It's basically one of the early type downhill forks with a single shock in front of the head tube and the rake angle is also adjustable for fine tuning.
That tripletree type front end you got should add a LOT more stability as well, very good investment there.

If you need any tips and tricks on getting the engine to fit in there nicely I can take some close up pics when I get to the shop tomorrow.

Edit: I guess it would help if you can see my bike... lol... http://motorbicycling.com/album.php?albumid=1780&pictureid=10347

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Hey, can you post the Amazon link you got your Sail from? I may consider building another tight frame bike like mine but to sell and that one already has disc brakes and the color combo is really nice too.
Mine is silver right now but I'm gonna take it all the way apart and paint it real soon.