Fixie with a flip flop hub.

GoldenMotor.com

MadMaxed

Feb 15, 2015
Florida
So im thinking about motorizing a fixie 700c thruster. I know the hubs flip.Of course have the free wheel on the pedal chain and the fixed on the motor chain. What im wondering is would i be able to hook the chain to the already existing fixed sprocket? Im not sure how many teeth is on it. But would be pretty cool if possible i.e. more speed. If any one knows if possible would be awesome.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Not gonna happen.
A chinadoll simply won't pull it.
Just remove the fixed gear and install kit ragjoint normally.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
measure the hub dia. if its about 1" you can also get a hub adapter and sprocket that will be much better on those 14ga spoked wheels.

but yep no way in heck you will get any engine on a bike to pull that tiny sprocket...lol

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
I found this video of a guy who motorized a fixie thruster like yours. What he did is mount the big gear without the rag joint, directly onto the fixie gear. I assume he drilled holes through it and bolted it all together. Doesn't use the spokes at all this way.

About 1:21 into the video.

http://youtu.be/BrMcg4BdVLs

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I found this video of a guy who motorized a fixie thruster like yours. What he did is mount the big gear without the rag joint, directly onto the fixie gear. I assume he drilled holes through it and bolted it all together. Doesn't use the spokes at all this way.

About 1:21 into the video.

http://youtu.be/BrMcg4BdVLs
Ive seen that done also, even thought about doing it on the fixie wheel I have that came off my latest build up, I've had some issues with 14ga spokes breaking under the rag joint rubbers.

I have been thinking about trying to find a softer rubber to make my coupler pads out of, the heavy thick stuff with all the cardage in it really tweaks the 14ga spokes and puts extreme twnsion on thembetween coupler and hub, I think a softer material that will allow the spokes to imbed easier into it will relieve a lot of that pressure.

if I find a suitible rubber that I can work with Im gonna give it a try and see if I can make the rag joint durable enough without putting all that added stress on the smaller spokes.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I know I wouldn't be putting my 215lbs on that passenger seat.....lol....!

overall looks like the bike was done good though.

Im not sold on the dual brake lever thing though, going in a straight line while breaking is fine, but be turning a corner at 20mph where the road is wet or may have a little loose gravel on it and any braking on that front wheel is gonna put you on the ground hands and k ees first with shoulder and head following close behind.

Wonder why motorcycles dont have dual levers......?

The answer is simple and that is that they're very unsafe in many riding conditions, you should always be able to apply brakes independently on a two or three wheeled vehicle.

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY

The answer is simple and that is that they're very unsafe in many riding conditions, you should always be able to apply brakes independently on a two or three wheeled vehicle.
I agree with this. I'll be going with the rear wheel brakes in the rear and a disc up front when I graft my Response Sport forks onto the front.(They already have a hayes disc brake setup)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

overall looks like the bike was done good though.

Im not sold on the dual brake lever thing though, going in a straight line while breaking is fine, but be turning a corner at 20mph where the road is wet or may have a little loose gravel on it and any braking on that front wheel is gonna put you on the ground hands and k ees first with shoulder and head following close behind.

I'm with Map here. No dual levers on my bikes. Good way to crash when it brakes the wrong wheel at a bad time. Only way I will use one is two brakes on the same wheel like a planned OCC rear brake mod sometime this summer...
I MUCH prefer separate front and rear controls even if it requires two levers on one side. Took me about 15 minutes to adjust my riding habits.
I will mention it can be confusing for inexperienced riders to deal with.
I've had people jump on my bike and do stupid things by grabbing wrong lever...
I also choose to consider the 3 lever setup a small level of anti-theft since there's a chance a thief could crash while trying to escape my wrath...it takes a while to figure it out if you're used to motorcycles.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I agree with all above on the dual pull lever, do not link the brakes on a two wheeled vehicle. Find another way to deal with the extra controls. On the fixie wheel subject the 9 hole kit sprockets line up with the teeth on an 18 tooth fixie sprocket and you simply bolt them together. The issue are slightly machining out the center hole AND the motor will be trying to unscrew the sprocket to drive forward. You have to add a little lock tight beat it on ridiculously tight and do the same to the lock ring and it will hold with no problems. It is a pain to swap sprockets later though.