My first build

GoldenMotor.com

Bearded War Machine

Apr 6, 2014
Santa Maria, California
UPDATE 5-11-14: As of last night, she runs! Had some issues with the chain right of the bat, but nothing a little adjusting won't fix. Still playing around with different paint/color ideas, and I still have to get a lighting rig set up, but she runs nonetheless!

UPDATE 4-21-14: I've made some substantial progress. I've decided on the cruiser frame, and have started the build. Check page 2 for the pictures. Once the build is completed I shall add the pictures to this post.

This build as of now is in the infant/planning stages, and I'm actually looking for ideas and suggestions as well. Strap in, this is going to be a bumpy ride.

I'll start off with pictures of the frames/bikes I'm looking at putting a motor in first. I don't even know if all of these will be possible, but here they are.

I'm leaning HEAVILY towards the cruiser, hence why I put it here, I like the possibilities of getting a pseudo-chopper-classic motorcycle feel. (The bars' positioning was just me fiddling with it to see how lower bars would feel. I'll probably make my own). But the road and MTB are a bit lighter. But I'm Just kind of throwing ideas around right now. Thanks for any ideas ahead of time!

dance1

UPDATE 4-8-14: Ok, so, I've decided on a cruiser style, but have also realized (quite quickly) that the cruiser frame I have is quite flimsy. It's old, and was cheap at the time apparently. I'm not too confident in it's structural durability, and the braking is unacceptable. I thought about adding all of these things to the frame, but am seeing that I would quickly be putting a lot of money in to an old, possibly easily compromised frame and fork combination, so I'm looking at getting a new bike, but want to stick with the cruiser/chopper feel. Any suggestions on a cheap bike that would also hold up to a build would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking at a super/ultra low budget build here. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Being a cruiser/chopper/bobber kind of guy my choice would be the cruiser. I like the lines of a cruiser. I'm kind of a swoopy-curvy type and cruisers lend themselves well to motorizing. But, the final choice is yours and what you like.

Good luck and keep us informed on the progress of your build.

tom

Bearded War Machine

Apr 6, 2014
Santa Maria, California
Ok, so, I've decided on a cruiser style, but have also realized (quite quickly) that the cruiser frame I have is quite flimsy. It's old, and was cheap at the time apparently. I'm not too confident in it's structural durability, and the braking is unacceptable. I thought about adding all of these things to the frame, but am seeing that I would quickly be putting a lot of money in to an old, possibly easily compromised frame and fork combination, so I'm looking at getting a new bike, but want to stick with the cruiser/chopper feel. Any suggestions on a cheap bike that would also hold up to a build would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking at a super/ultra low budget build here. Thanks in advance.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
The mountain bike would be a good choice. Except that particular one has a strange frame. It's kinda cool, but you won't fit a 2 stroke china girl in there.

It sounds like cruiser is your preference anyway. If you don't trust the one you've got, then you can always get one from a big box store for about $100.

I have a Huffy Cranbrook that has now been motorized for two years. It's still going strong. I weigh about 180 and I'm not an extreme rider. But I'm not as gentle as a little old lady would be.

Huffy's have a bonus feature; 12 gauge spokes. In fact, when I noticed that I bought that bike on the spot. I had only been playing with the idea until then.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Steel cruiser bikes will tend to feel flimsy because they are designed to have a smooth ride. Front brakes are not difficult to add. I would give the cruiser a try. You can always transfer the kit to another bike.
My first build was a chromo steel mountain bike. The ride was to stiff and steering too quick at speed, so I moved my kit to a beach cruiser. I enjoyed the motorized beach cruiser much more than the mountain bike. I did not ride off-road.

Bearded War Machine

Apr 6, 2014
Santa Maria, California
The mountain bike would be a good choice. Except that particular one has a strange frame. It's kinda cool, but you won't fit a 2 stroke china girl in there.

It sounds like cruiser is your preference anyway. If you don't trust the one you've got, then you can always get one from a big box store for about $100.

I have a Huffy Cranbrook that has now been motorized for two years. It's still going strong. I weigh about 180 and I'm not an extreme rider. But I'm not as gentle as a little old lady would be.

Huffy's have a bonus feature; 12 gauge spokes. In fact, when I noticed that I bought that bike on the spot. I had only been playing with the idea until then.
That sounds like a good idea. I shall keep the Cranbrook in mind. I'll be going to WIllow this weekend, maybe I'll bring the bike out and get the opinions of some of the guys out there where they can actually see it in person. But the Cranbrook is looking pretty good as well.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you can find one, the Schwinn Jaguar is a good foundation for a motorized bicycle. They are now out of production and have been replaced by a couple of different names. I believe 'Southport' was one of them. Same bikes, differnt color schemes.
The Jag was a very popular bike here on the forum a few years ago and can be found used on Craig's List or ebay if you look. Steel frame, front and rear brakes and very sturdy. Only drawback was they are a little short in the crotch. A layback seatpost would usually cure that though.
Just a suggestion.

Tom

Bearded War Machine

Apr 6, 2014
Santa Maria, California
If you can find one, the Schwinn Jaguar is a good foundation for a motorized bicycle. They are now out of production and have been replaced by a couple of different names. I believe 'Southport' was one of them. Same bikes, differnt color schemes.
The Jag was a very popular bike here on the forum a few years ago and can be found used on Craig's List or ebay if you look. Steel frame, front and rear brakes and very sturdy. Only drawback was they are a little short in the crotch. A layback seatpost would usually cure that though.
Just a suggestion.

Tom
I was able to find the current version. It's now called the 'Sanctuary 7'. While it is a bit more than I would like to pay. I guess you do get what you pay for. I shall keep that one in mind as well. Thanks!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I also run a Huffy 'Cranbrook'. If you add the front brake, re-grease every bearing, and delete the fenders, these bikes can hold up quite well. I'm satisfied enough that I probably won't be 'upgrading' for quite a while.

Take a look in some of the albums of members that have Huffys.....myself, mapbike, huffydavidson, and lots of others. You'll discover some good ideas that make cheap bikes perfectly acceptable even for the long haul!

Again, best of luck in your adventure!!

Bearded War Machine

Apr 6, 2014
Santa Maria, California
So I have officially placed my order for my 66cc 2 stroke engine kit. Should be arriving in the next week or so. I have acquired some forks and brakes that I'm hopefully going to be able to make work. Pictures will com later this week when I have time to breathe from my school/work schedule. But the project is officially in motion!
dance1

Bearded War Machine

Apr 6, 2014
Santa Maria, California
So I've finally made some worthy progress!

Found some fenders around the house, along with a different set of bars which I flipped and dropped to get a more cafe feel. Got the engine assembled and mounted. Just put the parts where they'll most likely be going, nothing is set in stone or totally bolted down yet. However I did come across some valve stem caps that I think I'm going to stick with. ;) Still have to grease bearings and mount the sprocket. But I finally have some progress worth showing, so here it is!

Attachments

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Great look'n start!! Just make sure that the fenders are rock solid --- they tend to break brackets/welds etc. Check 'em before every ride!

Bearded War Machine

Apr 6, 2014
Santa Maria, California
Nice look, BWM! That's a sweet machine you've got there. Great valve caps, too. Big fan of anything with skulls on it.
Thanks! Although...

I came across a Schwinn Clairmont on sale for $99 at Wal Mart. With the tires, wheels, and brakes I was planning on adding to my vintage Huffy frame, the price seemed to be a wash. So I am now the owner of a Clairmont! Having front and rear linear pull brakes is nice, the 7 speed is greatly welcomed, and a luggage rack, although I am not super fond of how it looks, is a nice option to have. Swapped out the stem and bars for an old roadbike stem I had lying around and flipped some old bars over and pushed them out. It sits really nice now. She seems to be changing a lot, so here she is as she sits right this second. Thinking about painting it. But I'm letting the color sit for a while. Seeing if it will grow on me. I'll get there sooner or later.
brnot

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Gonna be a looker, for sure. Very nice work.

Just another word of caution regarding the fenders. It isn't just a matter of keeping them tight. You need to keep a close eye on the brackets and braces. They are notorious for breaking. You don't want a fender coming loose and wrapping around a tire at any speed.
There are some good discussions here about how to reinforce the factory fender to be safer. You might want to do a little searching and read up on the subject.

Good luck, have fun and ride safe.

Tom

Bearded War Machine

Apr 6, 2014
Santa Maria, California
Ok, so I've got her running! took her down the street a few times. It was cold so it wasn't super cooperative, and I have some chain adjusting to do, but she runs!

Got a little creative with the wiring and made some plastic cut outs to go in the space underneath the top tube to hide it all (shown in the attachments). Shortened up all the cables that I could because of the new forward placement of the bars.

Still have some aesthetic stuff I have to decide on, but other than that, we're just about good to go. I'll end up getting some decent pictures once it's all done.

To do:
Lighting set up
Paint fenders (maybe)
Cover up the silly plaid decals
Keep riding!!!

.shft.

Attachments