small spring behind cutch plate?

GoldenMotor.com

obadboystanley

Sep 4, 2012
NYC
You guys know that small spring that comes behind the clutch plate. I believe its held by the flower nut.
Well my motor didn't come with one.
my flower nut came loose and fell off. When I retightened it I noticed the spring wasn't there. From what I read all the spring does give the plate tension. Should I get one? Or ill be fine without it?
I really don't want to mess with the flower nut. Since my clutch lever is smooth as butter unlike before were u needed a Hercules grip to desingage it.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
You guys know that small spring that comes behind the clutch plate. I believe its held by the flower nut.
my flower nut came loose and fell off. When I retightened it I noticed the spring wasn't there. From what I read all the spring does give the plate tension. Should I get one? Or ill be fine without it?
I really don't want to mess with the flower nut. Since my clutch lever is smooth as butter unlike before were u needed a Hercules grip to desingage it.
That spring is to keep the clutch plate from rattling around, thats all. A riding partner of mine got an engine without that spring and rode it for 2 years like that, no problem. The clutch, when ingaged, has a heavy internal spring to hold it tight against the pressure plate and pads. Only when disengaged the smaller spring, ( the one you're missing,) comes into play to help hold out the plate to keep it from rattling against the pads. It will run fine without it.
fatdaddy.
P.S. The flower nut should have a locking screw to keep it from backing off.

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
There ya go, FREE spring. That Norm's a great guy. I'd take him up on it. But like I said, you can run it, no biggie, till you get it.
fatdaddy.
Come to think of it, I got a few laying around too.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
From my knowledge, the newer engines no longer require that spring and simply don't come with them any more.
I never heard about that, could be. But like I said, ya don't really need it and runs fine without it. Ocho Ninja got one a couple years ago without the spring. Back then it was probably an oversite at that high tech chinese factory. He ran it for a long time like that, No problems.
fatdaddy.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
One way or another you need a spring to keep the clutch plate from rubbing against the pads while riding.

The kits come with a spring between the clutch plate and brake pad flywheel, and another between where the clutch cable attaches to the motor and the clutch arm.

Toss that skinny spring on the cable that is just for the lever and not needed, the one between the plates however you want in if you don't want excessive pad wear and the obvious side effects of drag no matter ho subtle.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
One way or another you need a spring to keep the clutch plate from rubbing against the pads while riding.

The kits come with a spring between the clutch plate and brake pad flywheel, and another between where the clutch cable attaches to the motor and the clutch arm.

Toss that skinny spring on the cable that is just for the lever and not needed, the one between the plates however you want in if you don't want excessive pad wear and the obvious side effects of drag no matter ho subtle.
According to Jen at Bikeberry the new engines are coming without the springs. Yeah, I think the plate will touch the pads a little too, but it won't really hurt anything overall. It MIGHT make you have to replace yer pads a day sooner than you would have. So rather than two years, you replace them in one year 364 days. Pads are $10.
fatdaddy.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
i KNOW THIS IS AN OLDER POST HOWEVER i WANTED TO KNOW IF YOU GOT YOUR MOTOR FROM A GUY CALLED "MINGSINTERNATIONAL" Off of eBay.

I ask because mine also came without the same spring ... when I asked Ming about it he said they are now made this way - With no spring However like all before me I had several springs lying around o I popped on in / call me old school like my extra sprigs!

obadboystanley

Sep 4, 2012
NYC
Sorry for the late reply.
Thanks Norm for the kind offer but the motorized bicycle is running fine without the spring. Ill just let it be.

I got my kit from bikeberry its a flying horse.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
anyone.................?
I just got a kit from ming,,never looked but it ran good,,sold to a guy last week that drove away on it,,he thanked me in a text when he got home and I have not heard anything from him yet,,no news good news!
How is your ming kit holding up?

Good times :)