is it ok for caburetor to be tilted ?

GoldenMotor.com

kavid2012

May 3, 2012
Brentwood, Tennessee
is it ok for caburetor to be mounted tilted position?
it is tilted about 30 degrees toward engine
and i 'm afraid that fuel is going to over flow out of the bowl into the intake

because the engine is tilted forward because of the frame shape.

thanks.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If it's tilted, the float will shut off and not allow it to flow into the intake.

However, if it's tilted too much, the float bowl won't fill enough for proper operation.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
well my bike is running alright
then there is nothing to worry about?
You've answered your own question.
As long as your bike is running good and not leaking fuel from the carburetor you should be fine.

That said, "running alright" is a nebulous term. We have no way to tell what that means. If the carb is not tuned and/or delivering fuel to the engine properly then there might be room for improvement as far as performance goes.
Nevertheless, if you're satisfied with the way the engine runs then go ride your bike and enjoy it. A non-level carburetor will not harm anything.

Tom

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Due to the mounting position for the motor as dictated by the various frames used to build on, most carbs end up a bit off level. As long as the angle isn't extreme it should work out fine, the one thing that you might have to do is a float adjustment to compensate for the angle. If you say your bike is running well then you should be fine, if you have good idle and top end speed, and no fuel leaks then you should be good to go. Try riding up and down a few hills, if she runs well on hills I would say you're fine. If you have trouble going up or down you might look into tweaking the float a bit...

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
30 degrees seems excessive, is that a guesstimate angle to the ground?
15-20 is usually acceptable.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I have no forward/backward tilt, but I had to tilt sideways to clear my frame. I have maybe 20-25 degrees and it's always been fine.

From your pics, it does seems a *bit* excessive. But hey, if it's running well.

kavid2012

May 3, 2012
Brentwood, Tennessee
thanks, the shift kit is working ok so far except the chain slips often from the cassette when going at 7th gear. so i don't use 7th gear. i don't know why the chain slips exactly.