New here, first build.

GoldenMotor.com

crawler

Aug 5, 2011
Wichita, KS
I'm no stranger to customizing...well, about everything I own, but this is completely new to me.

Here's what I'm looking at, feel free to give any advice, lord knows I could use it.

I'm starting with a 26" schwinn bike. It's not in my possession, my dad is picking it up, and I'm going to get it over labor day, so that might explain why I have some of these questions, I'm trying to plan ahead.

I'm planning on using this Grubee 66cc engine.

I would prefer a 4-stroke, but none of them look like they belong on an old school bike, in my opinion. I'm going to build it to look like (somewhat) like an old board racer or such.

This will be the donor bike for wheels, shifters, front brakes, gears, etc.:

I would like to run a grubee hd hub in the rear with the drum brake. Here's what I'm trying to figure out...I want to use the large front sprocket from the mountain bike, and keep the 7 rear sprockets. I have no problem cutting the bearing support for the crank (sorry, don't know the technical name) out of the mountain bike and welding it into the old frame, if they don't match up for an easy swap.

I'm thinking a grubee hd 7 speed rear hub, and sick bike parts jackshaft kit would let me run the freewheeling 7 speed hub in the rear, plus give the obvious 7 speeds with the engine, right?

With the grubee drum brake on back, and a normal v style in the front, will braking be sufficient? I'm not looking for a 40 mph cruiser, it will get geared down for more power than speed. How does the grubee drum brake compare to a mechanical disk brake?

The next question is, I want to run a springer front like this one.

Will this work with the original headset? I'm assuming not and I need more parts to make them work on my bike, right? Can I run a v brake with a springer front, or will I need to go to a disk brake in the front?

Sorry guys, I'm a total newbie when it comes to bikes. The schwinn mountain bike was tired (bad tires, tubes, shocks, front deraileur, etc.), so I bought a cannondale trail sl 29er to replace it, and just couldn't bear to junk the schwinn. Hence, how the antique schwinn/my old schwinn/2 stroke engine combo came into my head.

Any other friendly advice? I plan on running fenders (although the ones on it need to be replaced), I read about installing a heavier bracket to keep the front fender from spinning down. So far, I've caught lots of great little things like that on here. I'll also be taking the engine apart, redoing the gaskets, etc., as suggested on here before starting it.

crawler

Aug 5, 2011
Wichita, KS
well, have some things ordered.

Grubee 66 cc "race" engine:

Schwinn springer front forks:

Front disk brake/caliper/hub kit:

Bontrager Solana whitewall cruiser tires, 26x2.125 front, 26x2.35rear:

I ordered these tires at 6pm, had a tracking number at 6:45pm, they were at the ups facility at 7:30 pm, and they're supposed to be here Friday. :wtf: Holy service!!

Next up is deciding if I'm running the 7speed freewheel sprockets from the mountain bike, or an alfine 8 speed internal hub. I'll have to spread the rear forks either way.

I think I'll be running a set of worksman alloy rims like this guy has:

I'm waiting to hear back from venice motor bikes if I can use all the parts I want. If so, I'll have him lace it all up, I think. Two thumbs up for his help so far!

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
It looks like you've pretty well got everything covered. On the SBP shift kit, yes it allows you to run the motor to the bike gears so you can shift gears, keeping the motor in its power band. Venice should be able to answer you other questions but for the most part you've go a good plan. Can hardly wait to see pics of your build, it sounds like it's going to be way cool.

crawler

Aug 5, 2011
Wichita, KS
Well, the tires showed up today. 26x2.35 looks great, 26x2.125 looks like the whitewall was painted on by a drunken monkey with a toothbrush. :( Sooo not happy that somebody thought it was ok to ship it. Hopefully they'll make good on it.

Redbeard1204

Jun 18, 2011
United States
You have good taste, seeing as we are doing basically the same build! I've got a Shimano Nexus 8 laced in the rear, Grubee 66, SBP Shifter Kit, and a springer up front. So here are my thoughts...

You'll want to pick up a bottom bracket adaptor ($15ish) since the one on the cruiser will be bigger than the freewheel set up that comes with the shift kit. Here is some good info on gearing to help you order:

SBP Shift Kit - Ratios, Speeds and Pedal-starting

Good thinking going with the disk up front, stopping is a good thing.

Oh, and wait on mounting the engine until you get the jackshaft, the kit replaces the rear mount.

crawler

Aug 5, 2011
Wichita, KS
Well, the sick bike parts hd shift kit is on the way. I also ordered new gaskets and studs for the engine.

The engine showed up a few days ago. I tore it down, what a messs inside! It's full of sand, swarf, and sludge. There's no way this engine would have lasted even an hour, I bet.

crawler

Aug 5, 2011
Wichita, KS
Well, I knew they needed work right out of the box, I didn't think it could be THAT bad, though.

Ok, I need opinions here. The bike frame is going to be flat black, whitewall tires, and any metal left bare will get that dull silver cad plating, pretty subdued old school look.

I'm debating what to do with the engine. The chinese case and cylinder is pretty ugly, and obviously doesn't match the shiny new American machined head. I think the case and cylinder should be painted flat black for sure. Do I leave the entire head bare, paint all of it, or what I'm thinking is find some foam weatherstripping that goes between the fins on the head, and stuff that in there when I paint, so only the face of the fins gets painted, and the inner part stays shiny. I think it would look good, considering how thick the fins are on the head. I could also do the opposite and leave the face of the fins bare, and paint in between them. I'm going to have some vinyl race numbers made with just a white outlined circle, and a white 49 inside it to go on the covers on each side of the engine.

I could also do the above ideas, but paint the shiny part white instead.

If it helps, google "board track racer" that's the general look I'm going for.

The engine isn't together yet, I just put the big pieces together for ideas on paint.

crawler

Aug 5, 2011
Wichita, KS
Ok, another opinion needed. I think I found my gas tank.

Will the brass one with copper fuel line be out of place with everything else flat black and silver cad plated?

105mm Long Brass Casing completely inert with no primer - Artillery Shells, Projectiles and Grenades

Or do I go with steel and have it cad plated like everything else, and use galvanized fuel line?

105mm Howitzer, steel case, AR22 - Artillery Shells, Projectiles and Grenades

I really like the brass one, just can't decide if it would fit the looks .we.or not.

crawler

Aug 5, 2011
Wichita, KS
Here is the best solution that I have found to put a three piece bottom bracket on a bike with a one piece crank. American 3-pc Sealed BB at Danscomp
That looks to be a better setup, but I already ordered an adapater for the one that comes with the shift kit, so I'll see how that works out.

Well, a guy at work was nice enough to shoot the engine for me for free. I went a little overboard with the white, I think I wish I had left the jug all black. Oh well, doesn't bother me enough to change it.

My sister is going to do calligraphy racing numbers (49) on each side cover in the outlined part when I go up there for labor day.:thumbup:

Hopefully the bearings will be in in the morning and I can get this thing together.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
While I might have left the new head alone, that is one nice looking motor.

I really like threads like this where I can see the build progress. Keep up the good work. This, I think, is going to be a really nice bike when finished.

crawler

Aug 5, 2011
Wichita, KS
Front fork came in today, looks great. Have a few little issues to address (that or I'm inept, which is also likely), nothing major.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I have heard rumors, old wives tales, of people buying new kits, and replacing the motors with old motors using the cases from the new motors and reselling the kits as new. Mostly E bay, or Craigs List. Every Customer that ever brought me a Grubee kit to build was in factory new condition. They opened the box looked at it and brought it to me. The drive chain in some kits were way to slender for a motor in My opinion. I replaced it with a larger one. (c)

crawler

Aug 5, 2011
Wichita, KS
This was brand new from piston bikes. All pieces look brand new, it was just full of junk on the inside. With as much junk as was in there, and bearings like that, if it was ran at all, the jug, rod and crank would show obvious signs of it.

I have nothing bad to say about piston bikes, they have great service and shipped this engine promptly. This is on the manufacturer. I had already read some of the stories on here, which is why I tore it down to start with. You're not going to win arguing with a Chinese company, and there's no point returning it, who knows what the next one is line? When this is put together, I'll have the satisfaction of knowing it's done right.

crawler

Aug 5, 2011
Wichita, KS
Well, the tires showed up today. 26x2.35 looks great, 26x2.125 looks like the whitewall was painted on by a drunken monkey with a toothbrush. :( Sooo not happy that somebody thought it was ok to ship it. Hopefully they'll make good on it.
I should've updated this. Trek was very good about getting me a new tire quickly, and it looks great. I decided to get another 26x2.35" tire instead of the 26x2.125" tire. Great customer service!!

I ordered a shimano alfine 8 speed internal hub, sprocket, 6 bolt disk brake adapter, shifter, and avid bb7 160mm rotor/caliper set from tree fort bikes.

I just stumbled across the centrifugal clutch, and that seems like the hot ticket, especially while the engine is torn apart anyway. (Stupid bearings are finally in, I'll get them this morning.)

Does anybody know who was them in stock yet? It looks like raw might, but their credit card service won't accept my address for some reason. It was good enough for 10 other vendors...

crawler

Aug 5, 2011
Wichita, KS
Well, one of the gas tank choices showed up so far.

Steel 105mm howitzer shell:

Still waiting on the brass one, haven't decided which I'll use yet.

crawler

Aug 5, 2011
Wichita, KS
Well, I threw a monkey wrench into the works. I picked up the schwinn, but I also found and bought a nice Monark Rocket.

Now I'm thinking the Monark will get all the neat stuff, and the schwinn typhoon will be a (somewhat) basic build for friends and family to use to ride along with.

I can't decide if I want to strip and repaint the Monark, or just leave it alone...

Here's a picture of it with the motor (painted for the schwinn, I'll get a different motor for the Monark), and the brass 105mm howitzer shell that will mount on the rack for a gas tank (after being shortened).

To paint or not to paint?

Here's some more goodies that showed up, also...

Redbeard1204

Jun 18, 2011
United States
I think it looks awesome the way it is. Would make a cool lil rat bike. Would look neat with the engine painted hammered copper and brass fittings. Why use the shell for the tank instead of... well, the tank? It'd be ok either way tho. I'd just be weary of the fenders, and I'd hate to trim the rear one up for the drive chain.