jb weld?

GoldenMotor.com

superherg

May 31, 2011
nampa idaho
any body have any exp with jb weld and vibration? my top tube is really wide so i mounted my tank on a rear rack...not what i wanted but tank wont fit on top tube the studs arent wide enough what if i was to cu t the studs and jb weld a home made bracket to bottom of tank so i can mount it up front? i know the 3/4 gal tanks fit wider top tubes but cant find any one who has them in stock in black this would be a temp fix untill i get the right tank...what ya think?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Don't cut the studs too short. You would be better off mounting 2 flat straps across the bottom of the tank, long enough for you to install screws spaced wide enough to clear your top tube. Curve the center section of the straps to match the curve on the bottom of the tank if you want to.

superherg

May 31, 2011
nampa idaho
so mount flat strap to studs and cut off excess threads...then drill holes in strap wide enough for it clears the width of top tube and then form a bottom piece to clamp to flat bar? that sounds alot better would hate to drop the tank at 25 mph! thanks for the advice im brand new to this and got about 30 miles on the bike....still cant wipe the smile off my face!

Dymaxion

Jan 1, 2010
Michigan
This.
Don't cut the studs too short. You would be better off mounting 2 flat straps across the bottom of the tank, long enough for you to install screws spaced wide enough to clear your top tube. Curve the center section of the straps to match the curve on the bottom of the tank if you want to.
Good advice.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I concur, but since I have a torch, I'd op to re-braze the studs to fit the tube.

Why people always (some of) think JB is a cure all solution, beats me. Yes there are some applications it's good for, but not many on a bike.

Last edited:

superherg

May 31, 2011
nampa idaho
going with gearnuts advice...thanks everyone....and jb weld does have some good uses its been sealing a cracked block on my truck for 2 yrs now! haha

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
If that tank has had gas in it, it would be a really bad idea to put a flame to it! Kaboom!Just Saying.
Actually there is a sure care for that that I use 100% of the time. Take a hose from the exhaust of a gas burner, and insert it into the gas tank. When the tank heats up to the touch...walla..the gas will NOT burn, even is you tried to light it with a match. Just remove as much fuel as you can before. I've even used a grass edger to serve as the host.

Actually there is a sure care for that that I use 100% of the time. Take a hose from the exhaust of a gas burner, and insert it into the gas tank. When the tank heats up to the touch...walla..the gas will NOT burn, even is you tried to light it with a match. Just remove as much fuel as you can before. I've even used a grass edger to serve as the host. I now use a gas generator off from my boat.

Last edited:

PerryP180

Jun 24, 2011
Atlanta, GA
To mount the tank permanently, simply use Urethane Windshield Adhesive. It comes in a tube like caulk, you use a caulk gun to put it on. When it dries it's permanent. I've done two bikes this way and never had a problem. I don't even use the brackets. Make sure the two areas to be bonded are clean. I do leave the studs on to help hold cables but they can be cut off.