mounting bracket for old Schwinn Typhoon

GoldenMotor.com

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
That looks like a go ,but I am thinking the front mount would benefit more with it beacause most of the pulling/twisting on the motor is in the rear done by the chain and less stress is on the front mount for side ways twisting(kind of a leverage thing)

gebhardm

Jul 5, 2010
Illinois
I'm not sure if I am misunderstanding you. This mount is in the back. I had to do this because pedals kept hitting the motor and muffler. I was really wondering if anyone else had used a 60s Schwinn Typhoon and had this same problem and learn how they solved it. I couldn't find any posts with my bike (Typhoon) although there are a few with very similar frames. Did the Typhoon just use an unusually narrow crank?

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
My apologies,I will wait for other responces on the crank width,Are the crank arms bowed in from hard pedaling?

gebhardm

Jul 5, 2010
Illinois
The arms were bowed in slightly. I ground them down so they cleared everything but this could not have been done unless the motor were mounted forward from the frame's seat post. Let me backtrack on that last statement a little. Mounting the engine in the usual cruiser arrangement would have worked if I ground almost 3/8" off the crank and bent the muffler as well. I tried mounting techniques similar to successful cruiser mounts seen on this forum, but they were all a no-go. Even the techniques used with older Schwinn frames did not seem to work with this Typhoon. I was thinking that maybe the person I bought the bike from years ago had replaced the original crank with one from a smaller bike but now I don't think so because the crank certainly looks like it came with the bike. So I really am wondering if anyone has worked with a 26" Schwinn Typhoon.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
On some threads on the site they explain about bending the arms in the context of(clearance) making a wider crank arm clearence(wider Bottom Braket ,another way to go/say ) That imfo can be found in the search bar at the top of the page,They seem to do it fairly easy
I remember wearing out an old bike and noticing the bowed cranks 50 or so years ago

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Old American made Schwinns have narrow cranks... If you just install any modern $10 crank you can use the stock rear engine mount. (much better!) ;)

Last edited:

gebhardm

Jul 5, 2010
Illinois
Greetings All

Well its been over a year since I went with the "saddle bracket" mount from ACE. They have worked great. No trouble what so ever. The old Schwinns have a lot of distance between the seat post and the front frame post. This excess has to be dealt with in some way. This definitely does the job.

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
"Borrow" a set of cranks from a 80's tenspeed, they get plenty of clearance on the motor&muffler and they fit on every schwinn I've encountered, back to about a 1932 frame I believe