Motor mileage

GoldenMotor.com

tbolt76

Jul 26, 2009
deltona fl
I am planning on taking the motorbike to work at universal orlando wich is 45 miles away from my house can the motor physically survive the trip after the break in peroid. The only problem i had was the chain tensioner always coming loose but thats easily fixed and it wont be many trips maybe just 3 days a week

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Even if the motor would stand it I don't think you would want to ride for over two hours to get to work. I think you will find that after 1/2 hour or so you will want to stop and take a break. These things do tend to vibrate to the point your hands and feet will be ready for a break.
It would probably be entirely up to you though. Also you would want to have one **** of a good seat!

John

tbolt76

Jul 26, 2009
deltona fl
Of course it wont be a nonstop trip i was thinking drive the motor halfway trough the trip then stop somewhere for a snack and a break then resume and let the motor cool off for a half hour or so would that work and i have a beach cruiser bike and when i tested the motor i felt very little vibration at all

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
If you have the time, go for it! I took mine out for a 75-miler a couple of weeks ago; started when the odometer had 100 miles on it. My average speed was about 20 mph; did not crank it wide open but once in a while. The trip consumed an entire tank of 24:1 mix. I hope to start a 150-miler this weekend, weather and physical condition permitting. (I endorse motorcycle helmet, bright jacket, comfortable seat, gloves!)

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I have done 40-50 mile runs numerous times in the desert heat...
if your butt can take it, so can the engine

just make sure you have enough fuel for the return trip :)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Vibrations are always an issue, even more so on a new install. You should be fine but be sure to bring your tool set and a few extra nuts and bolts.

I'd stop periodically during the first leg of the trip at least to check up on things. The main motor mounts, exhaust studs, and believe it or not - the fuel tank mounts are all conspiring to loosen and even perhaps to abandon you! The list goes on...

Another key thing to look for is chain slack. It's worse if you have the stock chain that came with the kit as it's of low quality to say the least, but even a good chain will stretch a lot while its new. With a new build on such a run, you may even need to pull a link after it stretches in - so don't forget a chain breaker tool and if yer clumsy like me - a spare master link couldn't hurt.

...and yes, I do bring just about everything I used to build my bike with me when I cruise heh, I'm just over a hundred miles on the thing and only now has it gotten to the point where I don't need constantly tweak it. I'll probably always bring 1/2 a hardware store with me though... Murphy and his damn law ;)

Once it's all settled in trips like yours shouldn't be a problem, this forum if filled with people with hundreds/thousands of miles on their bikes - I envy every one lol One thing I did notice is a surprising amount of wear on the rear tire, I have a mountain bike with (cheap) knobbly tires though - I'll be replacing them with cruiser street tires and that should help.