Californian needs help please

GoldenMotor.com

Harbinger666

Mar 12, 2009
california
Hello ladies and gents, I sure am glad I've found your site. I'm new to the motorized bike world and I've got a problem that i hope someone can help me with, I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA :( and i can't just use any engine. I need to find a 4 stroke motor that is 1.9hp or less and is CARB approved ( California Air Resources Board ). California has placed alot of restrictions on small engine emissions the last couple of years. So far the only motor I've found that is CARB approved is the Honda GX35, but i was hoping you might be able to give me a few more options. Thankyou in advance for any help you can provide.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
I believe you will find that you can use any of the Honda's up to the GXH50, Also the Robin/Subaru EHO35 is a really nice motor but seems to be used only on Rack Mount and Friction Drive set-ups. The Kit that is offered by bicycle-engines.com that uses the Chinese Clone of the Honda GXH50 (frame mount or rack mount) I believe also meets calif. rerquirements as does Dax's Titan Kit (rack mount). So there are quite a few options available to you.

ocscully

capturedbyrobots

Jul 24, 2008
You really do not need to worry about getting
a non-CARB approved motor.
Cops do NOT enforce this.

Most police do not know the difference between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke,
let alone if something is CARB approved.

I've been riding for a few years, and have never even been pulled over.
Just get the CA plate (mail in) and wear a helmet, ride safe,
and you're all good.

This bankrupt state of ours has wayyy too many problems
for them to enforce stuff like this. With the recession,
police are getting their hours cut back, and low level infractions
are being put aside.

Where in CA?

Last edited:

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I remember years ago I was towing a car engine and tranny on a car dolly in the middle of the night. I don't blame him but a cop pulled me over and radioed in the serial number of the engine. I didn't bother telling him that he had radioed in the firing order that is stamped on the intake manifold.
Moral of the story....a well placed sticker does the job.

Rayzor

Feb 14, 2009
Bako, Ca
I remember years ago I was towing a car engine and tranny on a car dolly in the middle of the night. I don't blame him but a cop pulled me over and radioed in the serial number of the engine. I didn't bother telling him that he had radioed in the firing order that is stamped on the intake manifold.
Moral of the story....a well placed sticker does the job.
HAHA that is beautiful i would hope that it radios in clean =).trlrl.