MB Poll

GoldenMotor.com

Goergedave

Oct 23, 2015
Texas
What kind of motorized bike do you have? I'm looking for just a couple things like frame(20", 24", 26", 29") size and type, 2 stroke(49, 66) or 4 or? All stock or modified? I went for a 26" Cruiser, 66cc 2 stroke on fat tires. Seems as if fat bikes are sorta rare in the MB world.

PICTURES ARE APPRECIATED!!!
http://postimg.org/image/n8e4db7ub/

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Welcome! KC has done a lot of fat tire as well as others, KC is sponsor on the right. Some of them frames are tight fit though...............................Curt

Goergedave

Oct 23, 2015
Texas
Thanks for that. As far as KC is concerned I am only interested in 2 stroke motors at the moment. I will peruse their site though and bookmark them for later use. They(2-strokes) are, for a newb, much more user friendly. Pics? https://goo.gl/photos/FUPGPdgamu3fS8Jz8 . I'd post them here but this site restricts postings to 5 pics and doesn't allow multiple pics to be chosen simultaneously. Browse for one, pick one, browse for one, pic one....... Very inefficient. I am new so I may be missing a lot. Is there a way to post more than 5 pics per post?

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
A lot use photo phuket or what ever its called,that lets some go to and look at your photos. 2 strokes are a challenge also need offset mounts and such just to clear the tire with the chain. You may want to do some good study before making up your mind.........Curt

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'm a two cycle engine fan. And I stick with the stock set-up. Mostly because it's cheap.

I don't think I'm a true 'miser'. I even spend recklessly. But I just seem to prefer inexpensive to 'fancy'. If it's functional, that's what I love. It can be crude. It can be ugly. I don't much care.

I don't recall the measure of my frame. Or the other frames that I've built on. Probably never measured them at all. But they've been bikes in the same size range as any 26" bike you'll find at the big box stores.

But I recently tried something new. And I like the results. I got myself a set of pretty heavy duty 24" wheels and put them on my current bike. The bike is not too low for me by any means. But my 'footprint' on the road actually does feel a bit wider.

This is still pretty new to me. Only a few weeks. But results seem good and I've perceived no downside yet. I have a feeling that I'll never put 26" wheels on a motorized bike again.

Goergedave

Oct 23, 2015
Texas
You do understand we will need to see pics or a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqDusg8VNgM , right? I like to see the results from those that think outside of the box. I know what you mean about the inexpensive side of things. I agree. I'm not into flashy things. Functional is all I need. Footprint? Yeah, I think I get that too. I went from a touring bike with 27 x 1 1/4" tires and drop handlebars to a FAT bike with 32" BMX style handlebars and 4" rims(26" x 3.0" tires).

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I got to admit it. That fat beach cruiser in the video is a nice bike.

I don't have a handy pic of the bike I'm riding right now. But here's a pic of a bike that I'm building. It's still in the early stages. But that's kinda good because the profile hasn't been cluttered up yet.
DSCN0636.JPG

The front wheel is just a cheap-o that's acting as a dummy for fitting purposes. The real wheel will be 11 gauge spokes with front drum brake.

Notice the space between the frame and those 24 inch wheels. That's going to be useful. Notice, also, how much space there is between the crank's front-most position and the front tire. That's going to give me space to put in "Vespa" style leg/splash guards. I'll make them removable for summer riding. And as I think about it more, I'll come up with other ideas to use that extra space.

I think 24" wheels are going to be a good idea for these bikes.

Goergedave

Oct 23, 2015
Texas
Thank you. I think that bike will be a BEAutiful machine when it gets done. Your vision is immense. I'm still new to all the MB styles. What would that be classified as when it's complete? We have such a need to compartmentalize things but also it good to know these things. Beautiful man, beautiful.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Thanks. I guess a bike of my type hasn't gotten a name yet for its classification.

But when I was building the one that I'm riding now my intent was to make something reminiscent of the European mopeds of the 1940s and 50s.

So I wonder what kind of name would fit this style. 'Retro moped', maybe?

Here's a thread with some pics of the bike I'm riding right now.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=60283

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Absolutely, Tom. It's a good thing you mentioned it also.

This bike is absolutely not ride-able as pictured.

There will be a top tube. It'll swoop down and it will actually encase the cylinder to some extent before reaching back to the seat tube. It will 'clamp' the cylinder with moderate force. The plan is to make the engine and frame a bit more like one unit.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Thinking about it a bit more, posting that photo might have opened up a can of worms. And I should have handled that a bit better.

No one should make any mistake about it: what I've done with that bike could very well be dangerous if not done properly.

Now I do have a plan in mind. And I'll find this very thread and post some good pics when I'm done. And that won't take long because that's about the next step in this build.

I'm confident that the design I have in mind will have the strength and the stiffness for this job. Once I have it built if I don't feel confident in it, then I'll scrap the bike.

I've already been through that, as a matter of fact. An earlier design. When it came right down to it, it only might have been strong enough. I crave certainty and I never rode that bike.

If anyone thinks about modifying a frame I'd strongly urge having a similar attitude. And be prepared to give up on something that you're not rock-solid certain about.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Looking at it more, I really ought to do something about my circuit breaker panel with the cover removed. My insurance company would have a cow. Nah....not really.....but they might deny any claim I might make.

Maybe I ought to put that cover back on. If I can find it.

Maybe I ought to clean up my slobbish ways. :)

Goergedave

Oct 23, 2015
Texas
Looking at it more, I really ought to do something about my circuit breaker panel with the cover removed. My insurance company would have a cow. Nah....not really.....but they might deny any claim I might make.

Maybe I ought to put that cover back on. If I can find it.

Maybe I ought to clean up my slobbish ways. :)
Here at motoredbicycling.com Tom saves lives, prevents electrical fires, inspires home improvement, saves money from Code Enforcement officers, saves money on home insurance due to preventable issues all in a single sentence!!!

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Well.......that guy's work space is less cluttered than mine. But I can say that I've never sprayed a thick shower of sparks on an acetylene tank. But give me time........

And let me add my apologies to the OP, Goergedave, for helping to get this thread just about as off topic and off-track as a thread can possibly go.

But.....it is kinda fun, isn't it?

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Ok, I'll play.....

Current setup -- Huffy Cranbrook frame, 66cc Skyhawk 2cyl, 26" Weinmann rims, Continental tires, Fred head, MZMiami exhaust and sprocket adapter with a 36t, etc.

This is what the next generation of the same bike may look like.....

The only original parts on the bike are the frame, handlebars, & crankset.

Last edited:

Goergedave

Oct 23, 2015
Texas
Well.......that guy's work space is less cluttered than mine. But I can say that I've never sprayed a thick shower of sparks on an acetylene tank. But give me time........

And let me add my apologies to the OP, Goergedave, for helping to get this thread just about as off topic and off-track as a thread can possibly go.

But.....it is kinda fun, isn't it?
LOL, yeah, it is. Now I gotta look at this guy's custom bike.