ignorant drivers thread !!!!

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What if we all had guns that shot suction cup darts? Whenever we encounter an idiot we would shoot the dart at his/her car. When a cop saw a car covered with darts he would pull it over and give the driver a ticket for being "an idiot'.
Sort of like the 'Scarlet Letter' of driving, huh?

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tom, that's a brilliant idea but as CTripps would tell you I'm sure, we need a rapid fire dart machine gun to have any chance of keeping up where we live.

Steve.
Maybe something like a dart mini-gun? 6000 darts a minute. That might suffice.
LOL, and every sixth dart would have a flag that said, "Idiot" on it. Sort of like tracer rounds. :)

Tom

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
What about a low-power paintball gun? You could use balls with glow-in-the-dark paint for nighttime idiots, and fluorescent orange paint for daytime. You'd want to use water-soluble paint, or course. No sense in getting yourself in trouble also. And one would want to get the word out about what "marked cars" meant when they had spots on them. And cops would know who to watch more closely. If the reckless drivers will behave for no other reason, then perhaps shaming them is the way to go.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I have always thought that the best way to get rid of non attentive drivers on the road would be to put them through a rally race or indy car training course.
All of the drivers that survive would be awarded their drivers licence!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've said for years that getting a driver's license in this country is too easy. Everyone who applies should have to go through something similar to getting a private pilot's ticket. And, they should have to prove proficiency annually. They don't pass or qualify, they don't get a licence. Simple as that.

That would take some of the morons off the road. Of course you'd still have the ones who would drive illegally, without a license, but in that case you make the penalty so severe that they'd think twice before doing it. Make it a federal offence; just like flying a plane illegally. 2 to 5 years.

Tom

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Tom-2door's mini gun (for those of us who are Vietnam nam era) could be called "Puff the magic sucker." Seriously though, there is to much aggression in the USA. Sadly, most of it is from a certain age group of males of high testosterone levels. Watching movies and playing video games that glorify aggressive behavior behind the wheel/handlebars promotes this behavior. Sorry, I'm sermonizing!!!???

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
LOL, Moto. There aren't many out there who will get the "Puff" connection. But the right ones will :)

I also agree that the influence of violence based entertainment on some individuals is a serious situation. There have always been troubled kids but now they have 'role models' who glorify aggression.

Tom

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Maybe something like a dart mini-gun? 6000 darts a minute. That might suffice.
LOL, and every sixth dart would have a flag that said, "Idiot" on it. Sort of like tracer rounds. :)

Tom
What if we all had guns that shot suction cup darts? Whenever we encounter an idiot we would shoot the dart at his/her car. When a cop saw a car covered with darts he would pull it over and give the driver a ticket for being "an idiot'.
Sort of like the 'Scarlet Letter' of driving, huh?

Tom
What about a low-power paintball gun? You could use balls with glow-in-the-dark paint for nighttime idiots, and fluorescent orange paint for daytime. You'd want to use water-soluble paint, or course. No sense in getting yourself in trouble also. And one would want to get the word out about what "marked cars" meant when they had spots on them. And cops would know who to watch more closely. If the reckless drivers will behave for no other reason, then perhaps shaming them is the way to go.
Tom, that's a brilliant idea but as CTripps would tell you I'm sure, we need a rapid fire dart machine gun to have any chance of keeping up where we live.

Steve.
Tom-2door's mini gun (for those of us who are Vietnam nam era) could be called "Puff the magic sucker." Seriously though, there is to much aggression in the USA. Sadly, most of it is from a certain age group of males of high testosterone levels. Watching movies and playing video games that glorify aggressive behavior behind the wheel/handlebars promotes this behavior. Sorry, I'm sermonizing!!!???

I think we're on to something. The dart mini-gun should be named "Puff, the magic Flag-'Em". As for the paintball gun, I'd go with a clear gel rather than paint, but something that is highly reflective and shines differently (different colour) under UV light.. the splotches would be harder to wipe off if they're less obvious, but would reflect when light hits or show up under a black light. (ooh, we can put a black light in the cop's rotating light package, some Hendrix on the loudspeaker.. Getting busted would could get kind of trippy...)

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
I wonder if pointing any sort of gun out the window would be a smart thing to do??? I realize we are just blowing smoke here, but some of those belligerent drivers may be packing and looking for excuses. "But officer, he pointed a gun at me. I have a right to defend myself!"

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I've said for years that getting a driver's license in this country is too easy. Everyone who applies should have to go through something similar to getting a private pilot's ticket. And, they should have to prove proficiency annually. They don't pass or qualify, they don't get a licence. Simple as that.

That would take some of the morons off the road. Of course you'd still have the ones who would drive illegally, without a license, but in that case you make the penalty so severe that they'd think twice before doing it. Make it a federal offence; just like flying a plane illegally. 2 to 5 years.

Tom
Way, way back in high school, the Norwegian exchange student I talked to - Ann Lodeng, said that in Norway their driver's ed classes last two full years minimum. You have to score nearly perfect. You don't get a license if you don't pass. Dangerously reckless drivers get their license taken away and never get it back. Drunk drivers also get their license taken away and never get it back in addition to whatever prison time is imposed. BTW: as I recall she said that was for most first-time offences. People know this over there and nobody ends up surprised. They just don't play around. They expect that if you're on the road, you should actually KNOW how to drive. That was how she put it.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The problem in this country is that the DMV is not looking to improve driving skills.
They are only there to bring in more cash for the government to waste.
Any REAL testing here would lead to economic collapse when there were only me and 15 or 20 drivers left on the roads.
And tumbleweeds. Lots and lots of tumbleweeds.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
15 to 20 drivers on the road sounds awesome!
Then I could drive as fast and careless as I wanted and no one would get in my way!
Oh, wait, then I would loose my licence too.
Dang!

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Over here in the great land of OZ we have a hooning law , if a person is caught hooning their car is impounded for 3 months , this is where a handy little action cam comes into play , if you show the police footage of an incident the instigator gets either a fine or 3 month impounding ,keeping in mind the fees to get their car out of an impound lot cost an arm, leg and left errr
if they get caught a second time they lose their licence for 3 months and their car is impounded ,
and if they are caught a 3rd time their car is taken and crushed ,yep they have to watch as their car is turned into a 2x2x2 cube , funnily enough no ones car has Been crushed to date because they realise the implications and aren't willing to cross the line
Now I'm in no way racist but here in Melbourne Australia there are a certain minority that quite frankly shouldn't be licensed for the road, I've Ben cut off, almost done the summersault of death on numerous occasions and when I stop to "have words" they can't speak a word of English so any words spoken fall on deaf ears .
This is where a mutual understanding of my cam comes into play ,I simply point it out and in a mysterious turn they know exactly what is happening and either appologise via hand gestures or stop and try to explain their actions
In my opinion an action cam is a very handy and underrated safety device for us motorised bike riders and has the ability to calm the most angry of drivers

In my state we are lucky to have most thoroughfares equipped with 1.5 m bicycle lanes so safety on the road is somewhat good and you only get the occasional rev head or idiot ,for me it is curiosity that causes problems as their are not many moto bike owners on the roads here so every man and his dog is curious as to what this fast thing could be
This is where I have a proposition for this sight...... I'll explain

I am an avid metal detector and as such spend a lot of time in public access parks and areas ,in the hobby we have what we call muggles ( those who think what we are doing is either suspect or criminal ) I combat this by giving them a card with an web address for a MD forum and tell them to check it out, and they often respond with a curtly appoligy and state they are interested in the hobby .
This may be a great way to promote the site as well as make people aware of the fun and economics of running a motorised bike compared to a car

I have as said had many incidents since getting into this wonderful hobby and will honestly admit knowledge is a powerful tool to turn idiots on the road into respectors of motorised bicycle users

Happy riding all
Henshooter

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Henshooter, I like your idea that you expressed at the end about a card that takes them to a site that explains the legal implications of your hobby.
I believe that one of the other regular commenters on this site who is also from Texas said they carry a paper so that they can explain to the police that our hobby is unregulated at this point here.

What is "hooning?"

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
What is "hooning?"
Hooning is when a driver acts irresponsibly on the road either towards others or by themselves and putting the general population at risk no matter how low that risk may be

Hoon driving is an Australian term used to describe a list of offences that involve reckless driving behaviour that puts the public at risk and is maintained under a 3 strike policy
First strike is 3 month impoundment and a heavy fine
Second is loss of licence for 3 to 12 months in accordance to what the judge rules and impoundment of your car for a minimum of 3 months
Third strike is permanent loss of vehicle to be either sold or crushed and loss of licence for determined time and heavy fines

Penalties for hoon driving offences include the vehicle being impounded, immobilised or forfeited and crushed whilst the offending driver is watching regardless of if they are the owner of the vehicle or not

Ie if you loan a friend your vehicle and he is caught hooning in it ,it can be at the risk of your vehicle

Regards Henshooter

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Henshooter,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum!! I personally have found a plethora of intelligent, respectable , ladies and gents here @ the M.B.F.& it looks like we just picked up one more!!

Thank god we didn't have "Hooning laws" here in the U.S.A. when I was a teenager. We seem to share more than one hobby Henshooter as I also metal detect. Years ago or in 2007 I started out with a Whites Prizm 3 for around $400 bucks but that was just an entry level rig to get me into the sport

We do a lot of underwater detecting / diving here on Cape Cod it is amazing what one can find out there in the vast ocean ..Also Cape cod is and always was a Mariners nightmare for navigating around That hook AKA the tip of Cape Cod it is one of the largest 18th Century sail boat grave yards on the East Coast a;lso if you look on Google earth to try and see the ship wrecks they are blackened out all the wrecks which I think is a great idea it's a graveyard after all Also the sea will wash away any treasures she wishes to give up to us No need "ONLY GREED" to go digging in these mens grave I commend Google for this action

Whats been your best find so far. I found lots of silver and a bit of gold however my best find was a Bronze Metal made for a soldier of the Grande Army of the Republic. of all places in my brothers front yard next to a mighty Oak tree whilst just goofing around with my niece and nephew with the metal detector It was later found out "After the metal was returned to the soldiers grea great great grandson" this particular soldier must have came to rest against this tree during their WALK from the sate of Maine to where they would eventually meet up with the Massachusetts 13th infantry Then they all WALKED to Gettysburg to help fight in the Civil War

Last edited: