Help my new Motorized Bicycle wants to kill me!

GoldenMotor.com

bonsai

May 15, 2013
Hobart, TASMANIA
Hey all,
Just finished building my first MB over weekend.
I'm technically minded but 100 percent noob when it comes to this stuff. Anyways its a chinese POWERKING 60cc kit.
It fires up ok, but there is no play whatsoever in the throttle.
From what I can gather I have installed it properly, but unless you keep the brake on all the time to keep it from going to fast, it just flies at full power even without you even touching the throttle.
The throttle seems to do nothing.
Also it doesn't idle at all. If you go too slowly the engine cuts out.
I should mention that I have already bit the gravel once today because of this and it HURT. :-||

Also I'm wondering what the little white lever on the side of the carby is/does.

Thanks a bunch.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
Re: Help my new MB wants to kill me!

Hey all,
Just finished building my first MB over weekend.
I'm technically minded but 100 percent noob when it comes to this stuff. Anyways its a chinese POWERKING 60cc kit.
It fires up ok, but there is no play whatsoever in the throttle.
From what I can gather I have installed it properly, but unless you keep the brake on all the time to keep it from going to fast, it just flies at full power even without you even touching the throttle.
The throttle seems to do nothing.
Also it doesn't idle at all. If you go too slowly the engine cuts out.
I should mention that I have already bit the gravel once today because of this and it HURT. :-||

Also I'm wondering what the little white lever on the side of the carby is/does.

Thanks a bunch.
yeah, i can't help with the throttle issue as i'm new at this stuff myself but that little white lever on the carb is a petcock valve, turned up it opens the carb to fuel flow and turned down it shuts it off.

...mine also has a choke lever right next to that white lever you speak of.

...btw, i've read a few threads on this topic before this and the problem always seemed to be the part of the throttle assembly that goes into the carburator and it not seating properly so, depending on how long it takes to get an answer, you might want to try reassembling that part of it.

good luck, bozo

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

White lever?
What carb do you have, if it's a powerking I assume it's a Flying Horse motor with an NT carb.
Obviously you are getting not enough or too much gas and your throttle does nothing.
Is your carburetor assembled properly? Is the slide sticking, how is your cable, is it sticking?

We need more details for a diagnoses.

Mar 31, 2013
RI

White lever?
What carb do you have, if it's a powerking I assume it's a Flying Horse motor with an NT carb.
Obviously you are getting not enough or too much gas and your throttle does nothing.
Is your carburetor assembled properly? Is the slide sticking, how is your cable, is it sticking?

We need more details for a diagnoses.
...i don't know which carb this is but here's a picture of that white petcock lever.

peace, bozo

Attachments

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA

there are two throttle cable adjustments that can give you more slack, one on top of the carb, one at bottom of throttle grip

there is also an adjusting screw on the carb for idle speed

if the motor won't run at slower speeds, you need to check for rich/lean conditions and air leaks and head gasket leaks and crank seal leaks

searching this board will help

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

Not quite sure what engine you're using, a quick search didn't show me much. Maybe once the caffeine kicks in things'll change. ;) You should be able to post pics soon, they'll help a lot.

If you're talking about the 'standard' 66cc china girl, this is what I'd do....

If you have a 'speed' carb it'll have a petcock built into it (white lever). Turn it to align with the fuel line for open position. It sounds like the throttle is (stuck) wide open. I'd start by checking the throttle slide in the carb, make sure it drops down to fill the space and drops the needle into the hole below properly. (Check to make sure the long groove is lined up with the little bump on the inside and the short groove sits over the idle adjustment screw). Before mounting it back on the intake, try turning the throttle. If it doesn't move, start checking the throttle cable for tight bends and loops, make sure it isn't pinched anywhere along the way.

bonsai

May 15, 2013
Hobart, TASMANIA

If you have a 'speed' carb it'll have a petcock built into it (white lever). Turn it to align with the fuel line for open position. It sounds like the throttle is (stuck) wide open. I'd start by checking the throttle slide in the carb, make sure it drops down to fill the space and drops the needle into the hole below properly. (Check to make sure the long groove is lined up with the little bump on the inside and the short groove sits over the idle adjustment screw). Before mounting it back on the intake, try turning the throttle. If it doesn't move, start checking the throttle cable for tight bends and loops, make sure it isn't pinched anywhere along the way.
Thanks for the great advice
I'll run through this today when I have a spare moment.