Video of safety issues

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Seeing is believing we hear a lot of people warn not to drill into your frame because it can and most likely will cause it to crack here's a video of a bike that did...seeing is believing and a picture says a thousand words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC3EVUjh8Lo

Be nice if others would submit videos of safety issues with bikes. Like what happens if you don't slow down enough to stop not having brakes rated for a gas or electric powered bike.

.duh.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
George,
Where does it say anything about the frame being drilled? It simply said the head/top tube seperated from the frame. That sounds like a manufacturing flaw or abusive use of a bike.

Tom

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
It does but it is the only video I could find on the fly that showed what happens when a frame is cracked. Be good to have a better video I'll keep looking.

I did find something on this site that tells you to drill into the frame:

http://www.pistonbikes.com/Grubee-Skyhawk-Bicycle-Motor-p/1gru66sshaf.htm

At the bottom of the page it says: Larger frame size requires drilling into bike frame and use the universal motor mount..

Man what terribly advice. No way no how should anyone drill into their frame period it is a huge safety issue.

Here's another site even showing pictures telling you to drill http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/FA_Q.htm

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I've seen video like that before- THose are mountain bikes on a descent without motors- That's in Colrado I think going down a mountainside- I've sen other videos from that same place-
they go down and down and down, really fast, really bumpy really dangerous.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
NK I know you've been in a really bad crash yourself I think you had a video of it if I'm not mistaken so you know first hand how bad it can be to crash.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Back in the days of dinosaurs when HT engines had bushing wrist pins and oversize mounts didn't exist, drilling frames was fairly common. I did it many times with no problems. In fact, one of my builds 7 years ago, is still on the road today. I only drilled into steel frames, smoothed out edges to ensure no stress cracks would form, painted them to prevent rust, and regularly checked things over for issues. Never had a single issue with drilling a steel frame.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I know the factory drills holes in them to mount water bottles and uses an insert to secure it with alot. I've seen one bike that had 3 water bottles on one bottom tube (2 on top one on bottom)

There ought to be some standard to go by not just guess and hope it works. Thing about those being drilled they are designed for peddling not extreme biking or motorization. I do see your point I think my old schwinn varcity could have been drilled it was like made of iron practically!