How to intall gas tank

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
If you're thinking about doing it this way, just place the bracket atop the top tube.

See how it all fits.

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
Never thought of flipping the brackets upside down. hmmmm....something to knock around the old noggin.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
ewwww. really?
some of these ideas are just crude, and the stock kit tanks look like poo on an o.c.c. frame in my opinion.
get creative, make a new, better looking tank and come up with a hidden mount.
seriously...plumbers strapping?
brackets screwed to the top of the frame?
doing it this way would set the tank tunnel up higher than the top tube of the frame and the tank would be "floating" above the frame.
sorry, but there are other ways to do it that would look hundreds of times better than some of these ideas.
here's my o.c.c., Jesse James bicycle tank (that i made fully functional smoothed out) with a hidden mount that I made.

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I know that this post was started OVER a year ago. But for those using the search, maybe this might help. Installing a kit tank on a Chopper ....this is how I did it and makes for a clean neat instillation. I, used angle iron I had but you can use (4) 90 degree angle brackets from somewhere like Lowe's. Something like in the picture. I slide the bracket over the gas tank studs, snug them down, mark where on the frame is best suited, and drill a hole for a machine screw. Have never had a problem of coming loose. Used lock nuts on the studs, and you can use lock tite on the machine screws. I cut the excess off the studs.
And that is a great looking bike, I know you have many hours in your tank.

Attachments

Last edited:

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
I know that this post was started OVER a year ago. But for those using the search, maybe this might help. Installing a kit tank on a Chopper ....this is how I did it and makes for a clean neat instillation. I, used angle iron I had but you can use (4) 90 degree angle brackets from somewhere like Lowe's. Something like in the picture. I slide the bracket over the gas tank studs, snug them down, mark where on the frame is best suited, and drill a hole for a machine screw. Have never had a problem of coming loose. Used lock nuts on the studs, and you can use lock tite on the machine screws. I cut the excess off the studs.
And that is a great looking bike, I know you have many hours in your tank.
THAT is exactly what I had thought of. Even have the angle brackets. Ive jimmy rigged (for now) the tank with the original brackets upside down like some suggested. And in reality, Theres really not a lot of difference in height. That extra inch and a half to inch works great to hide some of the cables.
Since im putting full lighting (less turn signals) on my project.