These Kits as Collector's Items

GoldenMotor.com

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Is it possible that maybe one day, fifty or a hundred years from now, that these Chinese kits will be a collector's item and valuable?

Consider the Model T. At one time it was ubiquitous and was found in virtually every city in North America. It was also built by various countries simultaneously since they were being produced in Walkerville, Canada and in Trafford Park, Greater Manchester, England starting in 1911 and were later assembled in Germany, Argentina, France, Spain, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, Brazil, Mexico, and Japan.
There were plenty of 'em all around, and everyone had one and they could be bought and sold cheaply.

Today Model T Fords are valuable collector's items.

Could the same fate await these Motorized Bicycle kits?

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Actually you bring up an interesting point, because by making them a novelty wouldn't that also change there legal status in some states?

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I don't think these engines are innovative enough to be valued in the future. The price of the kit is the only redeeming value. Model T's were innovative because they were the first to be mass produced and changed the way we use auto mobiles. Mass produced MB's have been around for a long time.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
For every thing there is a somebody out there who collects it. I know of someone who has a collection of the first early, cheap, Japanese transistor pocket radios. I would think the HT engines might at best have a similar class collectibility. It would be a misnomer to suggest they'd be in the same class as the Model T, or fill a spot occupied by Harley Davidson or Indian.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Rarity seems to affect value as much or more than the quality. People will still collect almost anything. Remember Beanie Babies?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Years ago I read that the 'Slinky" would someday become a valuable collector's item. I bought several and still have them in their original box with the original price tag in hopes of selling them some day at a profit. That was about twenty years ago, maybe a little more. You can still buy the steel 'Slinky' exactly like the ones I have stored away as an 'investment'. LOL.
Maybe after I'm gone and my great grandchildren are my age today they'll say, "Hey, look what grandpa had. Maybe we can sell 'em." And they'll make a profit.

Same goes for our China Girls. They might, or might not fall into the collectors catagory. If they're old enough they'll bring a price but don't hold your breath or look for that to happen in your lifetime.
Tom

Last edited:

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Well, we can always wait for end times to come into play - one of these kits and a few gallons of gasoline would be good bartering when the world is coming to an end.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Is an interesting question. Who'da thought baseball cards would go insane in price. Could you imagine what an original gladiator card (carved in wood) would be worth?

The long discontinued Russian engines/kits seem to be well sought after. I think in the original packaging and a good many yrs from now, it would be valuable to some one. But don't really think it would be worth investing in a truck load and storing em as collector items. Prolly more as a hedge against future legislation or tariffs but would really need a crystal ball to have a good chance at predicting any of it.

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
I don't think these engines are innovative enough to be valued in the future. The price of the kit is the only redeeming value. Model T's were innovative because they were the first to be mass produced and changed the way we use auto mobiles. Mass produced MB's have been around for a long time.
That's it exactly!

Are washing machine motors collectable?

Perhaps to a small niche, but nobody is going after them like EL-84 Stereo tube amplifiers ;?)

yodar