Springer Fork install ?

GoldenMotor.com

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
I am installing a Chrome Springer Fork on a 1948 Schwinn Frame . Problem is the Fork Threads come up 13/16" to short . Only way to make it work is to hack some Frame Tube down on both ends . Is this a normal mod that needs to be done on these old Schwinn Frames ?

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Tango

I have that tube you can have if those measurements work for you. Only difference in one I have is that it shows about 3 1/2" of threads instead of 4", but the overall tube length is 9 1/4" and from the race to the top is around 7 1/2". I did an OP Roller build which takes an even longer tube. This is the tube I had to use . BICYCLE SPRINGER FORK STEERING TUBE 8-1/2" CHROME NEW! - eBay (item 390295853448 end time Jul-06-11 17:23:19 PDT)
So I have the extra tube that I had to replace and you are welcome to have it for nothin if you want to PM me your address. I would be happy to drop it in the mail to you and since I live here in Illinois as well....it shouldn't take you long to get it. Let me know.

Last edited:

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Well...it isn't doing anybody much good laying on a shelf in my garage. I am in the bricklaying business and not bicylce parts business....so somebody might as well be getting some use out of it. Over the years I have had complete strangers help me out with many different projects at no expense to me. I find it much more valuable to be able to help out one of my fellow hobbiest when I can... rather then worrying about a couple bucks I might get off some auction site. I just hate to see somebody buy one when I got one laying on the shelf doing no good for anybody.

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
I Thank you much ckangaroo70 for the kind offer . But I jump and ordered that part the other day . The part was not to costly but will take some time coming from California . But that's ok I have Lots more work to do as well . Hey maybe once I get this Joker up and running we can go riding ? Cool Lots of great Folks here really could not do this build with out this Forum and it's Members .

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I ordered a new CDI for a buddy the other day who has had a motorized bike laying in his shed a few years collecting dust. I ordered the part from Boy Go Fast who I believe is out of California and I had it in about 4 days. So perhaps your tube will get to you in a descent time as well. Sorry I didn't catch you sooner, but good luck on your build.

YoungRatRod

Oct 19, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
posted on my local craigslist looking for people to ride MB's with and a guy contacted me asking for help with his bike running too rich, I explained the possible problems and Im gunna tell him about this site. Y'all are like another family to me

YRR

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Well...it isn't doing anybody much good laying on a shelf in my garage. I am in the bricklaying business and not bicylce parts business....so somebody might as well be getting some use out of it. Over the years I have had complete strangers help me out with many different projects at no expense to me. I find it much more valuable to be able to help out one of my fellow hobbiest when I can... rather then worrying about a couple bucks I might get off some auction site. I just hate to see somebody buy one when I got one laying on the shelf doing no good for anybody.
this is just good karma ..... as my pap used to say what goes around comes around .

CDizzle

Oct 1, 2011
Dayton, OH
Tango

I have that tube you can have if those measurements work for you. Only difference in one I have is that it shows about 3 1/2" of threads instead of 4", but the overall tube length is 9 1/4" and from the race to the top is around 7 1/2". I did an OP Roller build which takes an even longer tube. This is the tube I had to use . BICYCLE SPRINGER FORK STEERING TUBE 8-1/2" CHROME NEW! - eBay (item 390295853448 end time Jul-06-11 17:23:19 PDT)
So I have the extra tube that I had to replace and you are welcome to have it for nothin if you want to PM me your address. I would be happy to drop it in the mail to you and since I live here in Illinois as well....it shouldn't take you long to get it. Let me know.
YES!!!!! I knew if i dug deep enough into this forum i would find my answer!!!! I'm working on an OP Roller i was lucky enough to find at a walmart in town. Last one in stock had been on the shelf for 2 yrs+ so they marked it down to $79. Wanting to add a springer but knew that with the 7" Steering tube i was going to have to modify something. Now all that is left to decide is Classic Springer, or Bent springer...... I'm kinda going for the Old School lowrider look. (banana seat, HIGH back sissy bar, ape hangers.....)

Love this place!!! So many great ideas and information to be found here!!

Thank you Tango for this link!!!!!!