centrifugal clutch is it the way to go for a 2 stroke

GoldenMotor.com

cuberasnapper

Feb 22, 2011
Florida
whats up wondering if anyone can tell me if the cen clutch set up is a good choice and what all needs to be done and purchased to mount on a china 2 stroke engine ?

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I am also curious about the autoclutches. I have rwo I purchased from BGF a year ago, but haven't used them yet. They have one-way bearings so you can pedal start and the original clutch is retained. I like the idea of both clutches. If you're starting up a hill or just want to take off faster, when the automatic bogs, you can slip the manual clutch to get the rpms up. I haven't used them yet because the crank pedals need to be wider to clear the housing. Not a huge deal, but just more work.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I have used them on two bikes and will use the centrifgual on my future builds. Some times getting them installed has a few challanges, but nothing that can't be overcome. The second install was trouble free.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I have used them on two bikes and will use the centrifgual on my future builds. Some times getting them installed has a few challanges, but nothing that can't be overcome. The second install was trouble free.
cool.... Ive been thinking about using one on the Misses bike Im building.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
On one of my c-clutches, I removed some steel so that the c-clutch would cut in at higher RPM.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Yes the manual clutch is still hooked up. On one c-clutch bike I do the normal pedal or bump start. The other bike has a strange custom freewheel setup, so I have to use the pull start.

windsors03cobra

Mar 12, 2011
Racine
I think it would be nice to have the freewheeling effect when you let off of the C clutch. It would also be nice to have it be automatic on the stops and starts. I wonder how much extra heat is over there with a c cutch and if its bad ? And how long will they last ?

Stock clutch pucks sure seem to suck I am at 75 miles and ready to make new pucks from real clutch friction material, probably do that before c clutch

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I installed a centrifugal clutch kit onto my BGF and love it.

It is designed to go on as a taper-fit, and some members here reported that it would slip on the taper and machine it away, the taper, that is.

I preferred to use the Woodruff key like the original small gear uses, so I machined away most of the taper in the clutch and added a keyway to it, and have had zero problems with it so far.

If you search the forum, there are posts here on how to do it.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
With the centrifugal clutch, the regular clutch is used to start the bike like always, and after that ,it is forgotten, the centrifugal clutch takes over, so I would say that since you are only using the regular clutch to start the motor and nothing else, it should last a very long time.