Spokes and rim help

GoldenMotor.com

doubledice

Nov 6, 2009
california
Hi guys i was just wondering if bigger spokes on a bicycle rim makes it stronger? and by how much? And were can i get heavy duty hubs that can handle hi speeds. i want to buy a honda 125cc motor and build a nice bike to put it on.

.duh.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
Wow a honda 125cc? That is a whole new ball game compared to these little 49-66cc engines. I've ridden plenty of honda's and Kawasakis, yamaha's etc and the first thing that comes to mind is a bicycle exploding under that kind of power! My old yz80 was putting out nearly 22 hp (100cc kit, fmf and stuff) and there is no way a bicycle could handle that kind of power, that i know of. Maybe you have some ingenious plan but man that scares me! My little yz would stand straight up from a dead stop! That kind of torque would twist a bike frame like a pretzel if you could even get the power to the ground! I sure would like to see it if it can be done! That would be something!

doubledice

Nov 6, 2009
california
Haha ya its a wild idea but i weld so im gonna make a 1926 indian racer. Im gonna use a thicker size tubing for the frame so it should hold. Hopefully ill have enough money by summer to do this

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Consider Husky or Worksman wheels...or custom wheels made by the Wheelmaster. I have Husky wheels with 11ga spokes. Most bicycles have 14ga standard. Most "heavy duty" wheels have 12ga...which are pretty good. That I have seen (there may be others out there) only Husky and Worksman sell wheels with 11ga spokes (Husky sometimes call them "HD-120" because they are .120 inches thick). The Wheelmaster can custom build wheels with 9ga and 10ga spokes. The Husky heavy duty steel rims are strong, but the standard for strength is probably the Worksman.

here are some links:

The Wheel Master
Worksman Cycles - Factory Direct Store: America's Oldest Cycle Manufacturer of Industrial Bicycles and Tricycles, Since 1898
bicycles, tricycles, industrial bicycles, industrial tricycles, bicycle parts, tricycle parts

doubledice

Nov 6, 2009
california
Hey thanks guys and thabks for the links that helped Alot :D i will let you guys know when i get the money to start, im looking at an 800 dollar budget... yikes i need a job :/

.duh.

doubledice

Nov 6, 2009
california
Thanks those rims are exactly what im looking for :D and dang im starting to make a rough estimate how much this bike is gonna cost me and im gonna need a part time job haha .bf.