Clutch Bits Missing

GoldenMotor.com

Joe McPlumber

Jul 26, 2009
Oregon
I put together my first kit (this one) in my sister's gravel driveway.

One of the many times the bike fell over, i lost the bits that go through the housing to disengage the clutch. I put a bolt in there of about the right size just so i could test it out, it works but it ain't quite right. If someone has one of these 48cc motors apart right now, and would be so gracious, i'd much appreciate the specs of the push rod and the bearing. I think that's all i'm missing. I never even saw the things so i don't know what they look like.

I need my ride and it's awkward for me to order stuff and get it to where i'm [strike]hiding out[/strike] living. So i need to fabricate something maybe a little better than just a bolt.

Is it usually substantially more difficult to pedal a bike once it's all converted, because of the weight and the turning of the extra chain and all? I thought i had the clutch full disengaged but it's hard to get the rig rolling.

-> UPDATE - i found the ball bearing, which was the bit i was most concerned about :) but it would still be helpful if someone could describe the pin, i.e. length and diameter and is it rounded on the ends and if so, how much, etc. Thanks.

-> UPDATE II - So i spent about an hour with a bolt and a grinding wheel, manufacturing what i imagined the pin should look like. Thought i had it, so i took off down the road but it jammed up and the clutch wouldn't engage so i went back to grind some more. When i took the plate off, the bearing dropped out into the gravel again, which was to be expected but what i didn't expect was, as i watched where the bearing was bouncing, i spotted the pin. It was about thirty feet from where i was working, and about fifty feet from where i found the bearing.

Of course i was so happy to spot the pin, i lost track of where the bearing was bouncing so i spent the next hour combing through the gravel.

But who knows, maybe i lost the bearing again, just so i'd miss the truck that would've hit me if i had taken off right after finding the pin.

Thanks,
-Joe:-
scratg

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If or when you find the parts coat them with grease for two reasons; 1. So the will move against each other without friction. 2. So they won't fall out so easy. The pin is close enough to 5/16" diameter but the length will have to be determined by experimentation because there is some varience in them. The bearing (which goes in the sprocket hole first) is also about 5/16". Hope this helps you a little. Maybe next time put a sheet of cardboard or at least newspaper under the bike when you're working on it in the gravel. It'll be a little easier to keep track of dropped parts that way.
Tom