trouble shooting the engine if it does not fire up.

GoldenMotor.com

Buzzfire

Jul 26, 2009
Santa Cruz
I have been having problems with my carb firing up. I got it started once for about 20 minutes. I put new gas in it. it is a brand new engine. It has a spark, it was tested yesterday. How I can I tell if it is flooded. What next? auflg

Hot Wheels

Jul 7, 2009
chicago
look at the spark plug if it's black and wet it's fouled. iv'e had more problems with the amount of gas that is getting to the carb. I hate the stock fuel shut off I hardly get a trickle, I put a regular fitting in the tank, bigger hose, fuel filter, and shut off. my bike wouldn't run until I did this. Now runs great. I hope this helps.

CHIPS X

Jul 13, 2009
South Central Minneapolis
Hot Wheels,

I am having similar problems-spark, compression-no fire up, plugs are getting wet/fouled though so it couldn't be an undersized valve and hose could it? I got the thing together at 12:30 last night but it hasn't fired up yet.....frustrating. Please help! I want a weekend cruise!

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
Here is another item to check... Another writer had very similar symptoms. (I know these symptoms firsthand myself.) His fix action was to loosen up the clutch cable. His clutch cable was so tight that the engine would spin if the plug was out to check for spark. But if the plug was in, the compression caused the clutch to slip. To the writer, it sounded like the crankshaft was spinning normally. It was not. So ensure the clutch arm has a little bit of free wiggle when your hand is off the clutch lever. This free wiggle will allow full clutch plate engagement and will spin the crankshaft as the designers intended.

Let us know what happens next.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Fuel/air and spark....check for all three. Make sure you start with a dry, sparking plug, then push the primer for 2 seconds. pull the choke 1/2 to 3/4 up and pedal that sucka! 10 mph or more. Pop the clutch and work the throttle slightly. If after a few seconds you don't at least get a few pops, pull the plug and have a look. If it's really wet, you may have to re-jet to a smaller jet. Also if it's really wet, try the same proceedure as outlined above with no choke, wide open throttle.

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
Another thing to look for, though probably already ruled out... Ensure the fuel line is full of fuel. Those tank petcock valves do not impress me for flow volume. If your fuel line is full of air and cannot bubble excess air through the petcock into the tank, your carb could be empty. If you have the clear fuel line (with filter, I hope) you should be able to see the colored fuel.

If there is no filter and the tank was not thoroughly cleaned out, some dirt and rust may have found its way into the carb jets. That could cause the "work for a while now it does not work" symptom. The carb will have to be disassembled and blown out and inspected for cleanliness.

Keep us posted.

MikeJ