Engine Break-in

GoldenMotor.com

VermontCruizer

Jun 17, 2009
Vermont
Ok, so I have my engine running smoothly, but I'm not sure about the break-in period. The instructions say not over 20 KPH for the first 300 KMs and on another page it says the first 500 KMs and on another page it says the first 85 KMs. Which is it?!?! I'm dieing to open that throttle up and really RIDE!

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i would say around 20mph for 30mins at a time and vary your speeds. and do that for 2 tanks of gas.

but maybe someone else might have a better answer.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I don't think you have to wait two tanks of gas before opening the throttle. I certainly didn't with the seven I have built. Took it easy for the first 10 or 20 miles with a 20:1 mix then pretty much drove them the way I was planning on.
They really won't run up to speed until you get around 200 miles on them. At least that is the way mine were.
After a couple hundred miles I went to 32:1 mix. Now I am currently running the Amsoil saber at 50:1 and the four I have left all run very well.

John

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
From day one I have run Amsoil Saber Professional at 50:1. I didn't really do a break in, just varied my speed, sometimes opening it up, sometimes putting along, mostly just riding my bike. The first one has about a thousand miles on it and the new motor has a few hundred. No problems. Amsoil is good stuff. According to the manufacturer you can mix at 100:1 for small 2 cycle engines, but I never did. I also use it in my chainsaws. No smoke.
Silverbear

tbolt76

Jul 26, 2009
deltona fl
I have a question about the brek in peroid and im sorry if this has been asked before but im planning to take the bike from deltona fl to orlando fl wich is about 27 miles away and i dont want to push the engine too hard so whats the maximum safe mph i can take the motor up to my plan is to ride the 30 minutes and then shut off the motor to cool down and pedal the bike till cool down is complete

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
i just go the speed limit which is 20 mph take it easy you supposed to take it easy for the first two tanks at 20:1 after that i will go to 32:1 or
i will run the amsoil oil at 50:1 or 100:1 a heard this oil is really good for two strokes engines

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
Here is some more real-life experience.... I started my engine breakin at 24:1 with mid-grade (I suppose) 2-cycle oil meant for AIR-cooled motocross engines. My first tank max speed was 15 mph. My second tank (still 24:1) was max speed of 20. My third tank (today, still 24:1) max speed was mostly 25 mph, sometimes wide open. I purposely keep the oil content high and will do so for another tank or two (opinions vary of course). My third tank lasted 70 miles (a single ride, was great!); about a mile per ounce of fuel. A long hill I pulled at 70 miles on the odometer needed pedal assist. Today, at 125 miles, that same hill did not require pedal assist. Maybe I will go 28:1 on my next tank.

MikeJ

noobtard

Apr 25, 2009
PA
IMO, don't listen to anyone about oil/gas mixtures. Listen to your engine... IN MY experience synthetic for "break in" = baddd... 3 gallons of Lucas semi-synthetic @ 16:1 = phail.. switched to 16:1 regular 2 stroke.. 3 gallons 650~ miles later my rings still aren't set......

don't be afraid to WOT it in bursts though...

(take it with a deer lick cube of salt, as with *most* of the "advice" on here)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
16:1 with synthetic is so much overkill, It funny!

The main thing is this- don't make it too rich, and vary your throttle and engine speed for the first couple of tank fulls of fuel. Don't be afraid to rev it once in awhile after the first five minutes of running.

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
I live in a small town without any motorcycle shops around. Iam getting ready to
break in my CH80. I need to know if Lawn-Boy 2-cycle oil with added stabilizer is ok
to use to break the 69cc engine in at 16:1. There is so much info on here about 2-stroke
oil and not being available in my small town. The Lawn-Boy 2-stroke oil is as close to regular
as I can come up with. Bad decision or not? Thanks for any replies

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
Hi Vermont -

Obviously, there are as many ratios and break-in times as there are writers. Lawn-Boy oil is certainly better than the Wal-Mart stuff that I used first in my engine, and my engine runs fine. I run 24:1 and cannot detect any negative reactions. Just a heads-up.... Running slow speeds at heavy-on-the-oil mixture may result in a few drops of black unburnt oil drip out of your muffler after you shut down and let the bike sit for a day or two. So place a piece of cardboard or a lid under the muffler to catch the oil drops if you don't want your floor stained.

Happy riding!
MikeJ