Rear Wheel replacement?

GoldenMotor.com

stinkfoot

Jul 10, 2014
Boston
My motorized bicycle has saved me a fortune last few months getting to and from work ( saved well over 1,000 ). I did encounter some slight mishaps such as leak in gas tank, snapped throttle cable, and now damaged rear wheel hub/cassette.

I am in I.T. geek by profession but tinkering away with my bike has taught me a great deal about bicycle / 2 stroke mechanics. I am proud to see the grease in between my finger nails when I type away at work.

Anyways, after 2 falls off my bike the real wheel started locking up. Initially I thought a bolt got loose and was interfering with my coaster brake which was not the case. So I finally took the rear wheel off for inspection and notice the sprocket and clamps were good to go.

So what gives? Why does my wheel lock up when trying to coast? I then decided to take both chains out the equation and spin the wheel freely. From what I notice after a certain degree of rotation the tire rubs against the frame which locks the wheel up.

My question is should I replace the rear wheel entirely with new 54 tooth (stock) sprocket? The hub/cassette on sprocket looks pretty jacked up and causes my wheel assembly to rotate wobbly but the rim itself seems fine.

I am limited on tools so I don't have much to work with besides my pliers and socket set. Please helpful advice is needed, this is my primer means of transportation at the moment.

:-||

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I like to put in a 5 or 7 speed wheel with a derailer, but that is hard to do.

Without tools, you may just want to replace it with one like you have. Look on sheldonbrown.com for all info about coaster wheels.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Stinkfoot, Google "Sheldon Brown" for all the how-to you need to properly adjust and service ALL your hubs and bearings on any bike.
This is the single biggest thing you can do to make your bike reliable and not prone to breaking. Once you get a handle on it, it's easy and quick to KEEP it right.
Especially coaster brake hubs! These MUST be adjusted correctly to be safe and reliable.
I STRONGLY recommend Sheldon to anyone who wants to do things right.
He knows everything. Period.