Drain X-Thick Slime Tube?

GoldenMotor.com

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Has anyone ever done this? Pulled the valve stem and drained the slime and then cleaned out the remaining slime with water? The X-Thick tube they make looks good. Problem is. It is filled with slime.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good luck getting that stuff out of the tube. My experience was that it coagulated into a lump in the tube. Made it look like a snake that had swallowed a rat. I tried hot water and soapy hot water but it wouldn't dissolve the lump. The stuff also clogged up the valve stem and my tire pressure gauge. And I still got a thorn flat.

You'll have some folks tell you it is the greatest invention since sliced bread. Wasn't my experience. But I'm just one guy.

Tom

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Why get rid of the Slime? It works if you know how to deal with it. I've used it for over 20 years with great success with over 100,000 miles.

Even if you get most of the slime out of the tube, you'll still never get a patch to hold properly. If you want a patchable thick tube, don't use a Slime tube.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
While I love the way Slime seals MOST punctures, I HATE it when you get one it WON'T seal. (And you WILL)
You cannot patch a tube once slimed and this is the reason I don't use it. Makes fixable punctures into walks home.
I simply carry a patch kit and hand pump EVERYWHERE I go.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I just sealed up a tire on the golf cart at work. Those tires are not as thick as a car tire. Sombody got to it before me and and used a automotive style tire plug. Needless to say he made it way worse. Imagine the reamer.
laff

I tried the only tube company could find locally. It was a bad match at best and I injured it. So I plopped the tire back on and rejuvenated the the old slime after gingerly wiping it out soft clumps. The old product had been in there for about 4 or five years. I then did the rest of the tires as well Just added to them. In a unpaved parking lot riddled with ''big'' stickers that tire gets about 30 miles a day on it.

That is almost two months now.

That was the last time those tires needed any more attention. They don't need any. Sure once a blue moon might need harden them up a smigin. Valve core a noon never a problem.

Nobody has yet to reair any of those tires..they're the way I left them.

This is the way it has always worked for me. I ride until the tire wears down and the tube starts showing up.. Check this out... http://youtu.be/-8KXFW201nM Pretty simple.

Also I have yet to see a preslimed tube with enough product to do much in it. Its just buddered toast at the most. In addition to that a 2mm thick tube is by no means a heavy duty tube. Mines are at lt least 4mm thick or I won't use'm. I have yet to actually see a pre type tube from that company that was thick by my currant standards. If I run a smaller 26x2.0 tire.I will not go to a 1.75 tube.

I am guessing that the said slimed tube is a 1.75 ''smaller than 2.0. That could be just fine in a smaller 1.75 tire. Problem here a lot of folks don't figgure out IMHO is that when a tube has to stretch to fill the girth of a known bigger tire. That tube is a paper thin party ballon at that point IMO.

On my Mountain bike ''non motored'' I have Q tubes if I remember right and at the tread section it was 3mm thick. . Could prolly dig up a old spare in the box and get you a name? Those tubes were for 2.40 I think?

On my motored bike it has custom rims that let me retrofit motorcycle tubes that don't stretch at all. 4 mm thick! With out a doubt.

All this said I gotta agree with Aleman it would be simpler for you to just get a differant tube? Guess I don't understand why?

Last edited: