Point Beach gets an EZM kit.

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Well. today my delivery from Bicycle-Engines. com arrived.
Now the fun begins! This is my first 4 stroke build, but definitely not my first build.

Here's the victim:

Or is it patient? Hmmmmm.......
It already has a Staton 48 spoke dual threaded hub rear wheel installed for sizing, ect.

Here's most all of the goodies that will soon decorate the poor little bike.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Here's a compairason of the EZM engine mount plate and a Grubee one.

EZM mount has the silver plate, Grubee has a black plate.

A closeup of the front brackets:

Today I spent about an hour and a half filing and sanding the rear mount of the Grubee plate for a precise fit with the seat tube. It nearly snaps in place now.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
rustycase,
Perhaps down the road, but for now I just want to have a reliable 4 stroke to cruise around on. A front suspension fork costs more than I am willing to pay ATM, but definitely would be a nice addition.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Thank you, The Aleman!
The engine cover, motor mount brackets and plate and extended pedal spindle are all going to be white; if I can find white engine enamel that is. I am sure I can, haven't looked yet though.

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Between work and family I haven't had much time to work on the bike.
This weekend I was able to get a couple of 1 1/2" grind stones and a 1 1/2" sanding drum kit to fit the front mount to the bicycle frame. The mount is made at approx. 60*, the section of the frame where the mount will sit is 43 1/2*. Some angle adjustment is in order.

I set up my drill press to grind the mount and worked on that for a couple of hours today. It will be a slow and long process, but worth it in the end.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Gosh GN... THAT is a way fancy way to get those mmts at the proper angle!
...I just took a 1/2 round file to mine to adjust the angle for best bearing surface. lol

front forks w suspension??? $'s ? ...nah...
I ran an ad on craigslist to re-cycle unwanted bicycles and got abt a dozen of them.
8 in one lot from an engineering student at the nearby university who was done with his projects for the semester. every single one of them was busted, but there were many good parts on all of them.

U got a major university there in SD... see what the kids want to get rid of !
I also cruise by the dumpsters at one large apt complex down the road from my casa. Turnover is quite high, and the pile of mattresses, sofas, chairs and tvs is astounding!
Almost all the time there is a bicycle or two.
I had to stop bringing them home! lol

NOT quality marzocchi, Fox, or WhiteBros, but u never know when someone just doesn't want to deal with something in a move.

Best
rc

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
rusty, I at first tried a half round file and quickly decided that it was too slow and too difficult to control the exact angle needed.

Yes, UCSD and SDSU are both very close to my house. I could just run an ad as you suggest. As for cruising dumpsters, that too is a good idea. I used to do that all the time when I was younger. I found all kinds of good gizmos to repair or cannibalize for parts, and even a few mopeds.

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
gearNut:

judging by ur comment that u live close to UCSD, im assuming u heard about all the people who are getting together in OB and riding their MB's to oceanside and back this sat (12/19). are u attending?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Oh yes, I have read every thread on the subject here on this site.
I would very much like to go on a ride but I don't have any reliable MB's in one piece right now.
My Point Beach is under construction, my Atlas needs new forks, and my Hawthorne is too old and rickety (needs new, stronger, upgraded wheels front and rear).

By the way, how do you pronounce \./ ?

Last edited:

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
yeah im in the same boat, my schwinn needs a longer chain and better breaks before i go on any long rides.

and you pronounce it like this : [Vi] or [Veeeee]dnut

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
This evening I finished up the re angling of the front motor mount. No pictures of it, not much to see really. The mount fits snug and the plate is dead level with no twist or torsion.

Now I gotta find a shop that will media blast the mill scale looking junk off of the mounts so I can proceed with painting. There are a couple of powder coating shops around here, I think I'll try them first. If the price is right I might even have them powder coated instead of painting them.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
This evening I finished up the re angling of the front motor mount. No pictures of it, not much to see really. The mount fits snug and the plate is dead level with no twist or torsion.

Now I gotta find a shop that will media blast the mill scale looking junk off of the mounts so I can proceed with painting. There are a couple of powder coating shops around here, I think I'll try them first. If the price is right I might even have them powder coated instead of painting them.
I can blast them for you if you need....you're on your own with the powder coat though. Let me know.