To anybody purchasing sound deadening material

GoldenMotor.com

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Hey guys, just want to share my story.

I bought the Engine Sound Dampeners off of SBP a couple weeks back. Installed with no problem. Today, I took off my clutch cover to find that the center of the material got completely burned up. There were no instructions, maybe I was supposed to use extra gaskets to make more spacing between the clutch cover and assembly. Idk. But Here are pictures. It causes no problem at all for the bike, just considering part of the material burned up, it doesn't do as good of a job as it should at quieting the engine. Kinda sucks.

Attachments

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I put some in about a month ago- you may have seen my video in the video thread-
I haven't had any problem, but I may pull the cover off and report back-
what I didn't like was that the black sticky material on the outer side of the dampeners was a little gooey and sloppy even at room temp- It was hard to get them apart and peeled off

it looks like some has melted down here and splattered around a bit- I don't think you have a major prob here. I was wanting to grease the gears a bit anyway- I was surprised at how dry and clean a china girl is inside without a crankcase.

A few days after- I put some of my own into a 50cc china girl- I used foam poster mounting board from a dollar store with pie plate aluminum on the outside, all stuck on with gasket seal-

I'll maybe pull both covers and take some photos- this mechanical stuff sure takes it's toll the older I get tho. Whew!

I'll post again in a day or two.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Yeah you're right about that. It was really gooey and tough to get out. But once I got an edge up it was easy.

There isn't any problem at all with the motor from this. It just sucks that the most important part, covering the clutch, has a chunk missing from it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There are several products that will work. Bairdco likes 'Dip', a soft rubber like material made for dipping tool handles.
I've use PVC pipe cement. It cures hard but seems to stick well. Other suggestions that I've not tried personally but sound like good ideas are:

Spray on bed liner. Made to protect pickup truck beds.

Spray on undercoating: Made for covering the undersides of cars/trucks.

Thin rubber sheet: Use contact cement to glue it on.

I'm sure there are others like that spray on gutter repair stuff you see advertised on TV where they put a screen door in the bottom of a boat and cover it with the rubberized stuff then they put the screaming little jerk who advertises it in the boat, in the water.

Any easily applied resilient material should help quiet the cast aluminum/gear/clutch noise a little.
Tom

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
OHMIGOD OHMIGOD OHMIGOD!

You GOTTA do this!!!

I just took the flywheel cover off both builds to take pictures of the dampeners
the 50 cc I did outside where it was locked from riding earlier

and WHEN I HAD THE COVERS OFF

I put some nice fresh wal-mart grease in ($1.88 long blue grease gun tube}
not white lithium but not gritty dark stuff either

On the SMALL GEAR a good dose pressed into the teeth- thinking it might quiet the motor down some more-

I just tried that one out-
the first thing I noticed was a discenably EASIER pedal when the clutch was poopped

AND it seemed to run smoother and another percent or two at least more quiet

You gotta do this!

I'm gonna resize these pics now and post in a few minutes

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Here's my results- after a month or so on each- not a lot of miles but some good trips around town on both
The Sound Pro dampeners show NOTHING- not a sign of any problem-
I recall I really carefully took away any excess black material from around the edges and theres no trouble here
My own dampeners on the other build have slightly flattened the pie plate aluminum right near the center- my dampeners were slightly thicker anyway A small residue from that seemed to be on the flywheel- easily wiped away

and I expect no trouble- they were cut tight and otherwise held themselves in- but I put gasket sealer well on the back where it can't surface to the flywheel

the lesson here- mostly my post above
Dampeners no problems here
but really recommend greasing the small gear

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The gears are supposed to be lubricated occasionally. The trick is to not use too much grease or it will end up in the clutch causing slippage when the pads get glazed.
Tom

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
My biggest worry over sound dampening was over the heat aspect- would it make the motor retain too much heat-

it's still been pretty hot here in florida, and I have yet had no discernable performance problems with the dampeners- I'll run them on any 2 cycle build I may have- it's such a simple thing whether store-bought or hand made

It has got me thinking though- I'd eventually like to replace as much hardware with titanium- these five screws certainly with titanium allen bolts. I want my bike as lightweight as I can get it.