Remember Acetylene before Clear?

GoldenMotor.com

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Hey guys, I'm trying to find this technique of using acetylene char(raw acetylene gives off black floaty char) under clear but over paint. I saw it once on a bike build off show years ago, and I'm not having any luck with google. I can't even remember the name of the show...

Basically, the builder laid his base coat, used straight acetylene to add "smoke streaks" to the base. When he added the clear, it looked amazing and was a great effect.

So if you have any info on what that's called, or the name of the show, lemme know.

Or if any braver folks want to try it.... GL! :p

Thanks.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i didn't know what you were talking about so i used my ninja search skills.

too many links to post but copy & use this as your google search
"paint tricks smoke acetylene"

the show might have been "rides"

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Thanks decoherence, that put me on the right trail for the paint.
The show I was thinking was like a Harley build-off between two shops, and they'd bring their bikes to a big show, and peoples votes would decide the winner. Oh, and they had to build in a week(maybe two) and had to drive it(usually 100+Miles) to the show. Heh heh.

Here's a couple of pics for those wondering what I'm talking about with this trick:

Car Pic

Attachments

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
*facepalm* Thanks jcchappy. I was able to find the episode, although its in Portuguese(I think).

It looks like he smokes the primer even, must be candy paint over, then clear. I doubt it would show through a normal base, eh? Maybe with a light color. hmm.

It's a 45min vid but this link should go to the correct time:
Volume down! 25:00

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
That's a neat posting trick. How did you link it at that time-line? The Spanish speaking narrator was actually so well spoken I was able to pick up on what they were saying. I know some Spanish but I am no where fluent with it lol. Somebody here a few days ago left a link to Instructables how to paint snake skin designs too. http://motorbicycling.com/f26/snake-skin-32059.html

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Cool snakeskin.

Goat, when watching any vid on YouTube, pause where you want the slider to be, "Right-click" and "Copy Video URL at current time" and use that link in your:
]url=www.yadda_yadda.com]name of link[/url]
^ this bracket is reversed to show the format
:)

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I was fascinated with the idea of using acetylene on metal as a form for a design. I was in the process of clear coating a tank and decided to try the torch on a piece of sheet metal, this is the result with clear over it. With color as the base the possibilities are endless.

I may do the sides of the tank with this design.

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Years ago, when the technique first started to get popular, a friend of mine did that to his down hill race bike. He did not have an acetylene torch so he just burned plastic tableware he got for free from KFC. The way he played the smoke on the fresh, still tacky, color coat it looked like tiger stripes.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
For those who don't have acetylene, maybe a candle would work?
Or how about one of those kerosene lamps with the wick turned up high?

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I know it has to work but HOW does the paint stick to soot??? Seems like a recipe for paint separation but it seems to survive over time. Howsit doo dat?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Anything with soot should work, acetylene just gives off alot. One old article mentioned using an old wine cork, not sure why... Red wine makes it burn red soot maybe? Lol! Or just alot of soot from the cork.

I'm thinking the epoxy of the clear permeates(soaks) right through the soot for adhesion. It is only lightly misted charcoal after all :p Surely if you raided your fire-pit and put on chunky hand prints, it might not hold. :)

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
carbon is a structural element.
every cell in your body to adding carbon to iron making steel.
carbon is used for bucky balls, nanotubes & the blackest material.
we can't live w/o it.

TerryO

Aug 30, 2011
Seattle,WA.
Back in the day, they would shoot a coat of clear, then float on the soot from the torch onto the wet paint. You would let it dry/cure before adding additional clearcoats. First topcoat is just a very light (and dry) mist coat so as to cover the soot and yet not disturb it. From there it's just a normal sequence.

Best Regards,
Terry

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
that techniqe is literally called , SMOKING , I have done it many times .
typicaly you should spray a nice base color preferably a lighter shade but it still gives a nice effect over some medium colors as well .
spray one light coat of clear first then " smoke " the area alow to flash off an clear again , if you alternate "smoking" an layers of clear you can give added depth or metal flake an some veining of colors it is possible to create a real marble look .