Welding newbie need advice

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome, thanks guys. Subscribed.

Just a side note and learned from following here about "The right way" Using the internet to learn things can be difficult. When I first got into MBs, about drove me insane with differing opinions on just about every thing. Came to realize if some one takes the time to post, they have generally tried what ever in that fashion and it worked for them. I try to take the time to thank them. Any way and my point being I am having great success with doing what ever (welding, breaking in a new engine etc.) by first trying it the way most folks suggest and then trying the less conventual methods.
Just saying thanks to all who took the time to help us new folks out. I am really enjoying this internet thing and global neighborhood. It might catch on.

Post Script: Tensioners are for lazy folks and master links rock! nananananana

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dan makes a valid point but I'll ad that one must use caution when heeding advice posted on the Internet. Just because someone took the time to type it doesn't necessarily mean it is factual. All of us have seen bogus information right here on our forum, posted by people who have never actaully tried it or are simply parroting what they have read prior.
Let common sense prevail.
Tom

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I think the the internet is a great source of info. But I agree with 2-Door Just because it is on the INTER WEB does not make it true. That being said this forum has some great info, and represents some diverse opinions that give plenty of angle to look at things and evaluate info.

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
Can somebone explain to me why a fluxcore welder is so frowned apon (i mean i know it smokes like crayze and its bad for you and all), all my welds have held up so far and i havent noticed anything wrong with it, i am aware that migs with gas are better but i dont know or understand why. The gas is used to push the air away from the weld to prevent oxidization within the weld itself.....correct? doesnt the fluxcore wire do the same or at least allow the weld to be resistant to oxidization?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The biggest advantage is the cleanleness of the weld bead. Flux core wire leave slag that must be chipped away and splatter that makes for an ugly weld. The inert gas, in the case of a MIG is C-25, or an Argon/CO2 mix forms a shield around the arc that keeps oxidation away making for a cleaner, and some will say a stronger weld.
The advantage of a gasless machine, flux core, is that it can be easily transported and makes the welder a more portable machine. They're popular with people who work in the field, farmers, construction workers, oil field guys, etc. where they can just grab the box, haul it off a truck and run it from a generator without having to haul around a compressed gas cylinder to do their welding.
In truth, the welds generated from a gasless machine are no worse than a standard arc (stick) welder when it comes to a nice looking, clean weld. An accomplished welder can do equally strong welds with either a gasless (flux core wire) or a gas shielded machine.
Tom

Last edited:

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
Another advantage for outdoor welding is that the wind won't carry the shielding gas away. I used to have to build little portable shelters around my projects until going with flux core. PITA as far as setup time.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dan makes a valid point but I'll ad that one must use caution when heeding advice posted on the Internet. Just because someone took the time to type it doesn't necessarily mean it is factual. All of us have seen bogus information right here on our forum, posted by people who have never actaully tried it or are simply parroting what they have read prior.
Let common sense prevail.
Tom
Excellent Tom and Thank you. My bad there. I did the classic posting of "just between us" sort of thing. I really hate the "well, I read" posts.

All about doing one's homework.

Thanks for the catch Tom.

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
well that makes me feel a lil better about my lil baby welder lol, and thnx for clarifing that out for me, if there ones thing i wish is that i knew someon older that was good at welding that could show me ropes, i mean im decent(well probably not to your standards unfortunetly most of my welds r ugly but ive been having issues with my wire feed as posted in another thread) but i want to get good, i practice and weld every chance i get, im gonna have a chance to do some more welding this summer as i have a morini project that im hoping to finish in a couple of months, but untill i find someone to critisize me and show me up i got all u guys to help me out, i wanted to thank everyone of you guys out there for putting the time in to help the young lads out :p

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Another advantage for outdoor welding is that the wind won't carry the shielding gas away. I used to have to build little portable shelters around my projects until going with flux core. PITA as far as setup time.
A very good point. In high wind situations the gas can be blown away from the arc making for some REALLY ugly welds.

And if you want to see ugly, forget to turn on the argon when doing a TIG weld. This past weekend I was building a bike carrier and did just that. Wow! Ugly black slag appeared even before I got the rod in the puddle. Yuck! Won't do that again :(
Tom

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
lol (note to self turn on the gas) one time i ran out of gas and didint realize, i couldnt figure out what i was doing wrong and why i couldnt weld, untill of course my coworker pointed out the empty tank:confused: