Grocery Cart

GoldenMotor.com

pj-pirate

Mar 17, 2010
So Calif
Rebuillt a tired kid carrier to a utility trailer(grocery cart) Made the frame out of 1x2 furring strips and a piece of scrap plywood. Now all is left to do is finish the stake pockets for the tailgate and paint. Total investment --$5.00 .crt.

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Your trailer looks great.
I made a narrow trailer from a push scooter that my kids outgrew. It looked geeky, but I used it to haul a 5 gallon can to the gas station for a fillup.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Rebuillt a tired kid carrier to a utility trailer(grocery cart) Made the frame out of 1x2 furring strips and a piece of scrap plywood. Now all is left to do is finish the stake pockets for the tailgate and paint. Total investment --$5.00 .crt.
PJ,
I really like that. I have a worn out Instep lightning model (fabric is shot) and think I may do something similar with mine. The rims are getting some rust here and there, but still are stout little guys and you hardly notice it is back there even when I have my dog in tow. I very much like the wood over fabric anyway. I think my dog would like the open trailer as well so long as she has a cushion and her special 'blanky'. On her newer trailer which still has good fabric I mounted an American flag on the rod that came with it. I've also used part of a fishing rod as a little flag pole. I think the flag waving back there helps make us more visible to motorists from the front and back. You and I have talked about sidecars a good deal and while I still want to make one from a section of canoe it does require a good bit more of the road with a sidecar next to you as opposed to a trailer behind. I guess it depends on where you are able to ride. For most situations the trailer is more practical. Finding a used one with worn out fabric is a real sensible way to go. I like the way they mount to the bike and even if you dump the trailer doesn't. Very clever setup. It will look nice with stain and varnish. Simple and just right.
SB

pj-pirate

Mar 17, 2010
So Calif
Went by my friends house today and his Lab hopped in the trailer. For him to ride we are going to have to lay a scrap of carpet to give his nails some "bite". With just a rubber backed rug in the trailer, his 70 lb Lab was right at home!! One thing I have to add to my Bike/trailer stuff is a camera to catch those "Kodak" moments! Still am going to weld up a hack for yucks!!I have big chunks of foam to form a "unique body" and will glass the form. Gas eats out the foam on the inside leaving you with a light glassed shell. More on this when I get going! The trailer is going to get a coat of sealer and be shot with gloss red paint. Will post when done.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I finally got the trailer painted and on the road. Turned out quite nice for only spending $5.00 and a can of paint..crt.
It sure did turn out nice. If only every $5.00 investment gave so much back. The red looks sharp and also makes you highly visible to motorists... good choice.
I found my donor canoe for making into a sidecar. Pictures later today in my thread on Firebird, Silverbear's Worksman Cruiser. I hope my $20 investment was as wise as your $5.00 one. Don't you love it when you can make something nice out of what everybody else thought was junk?
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
PJ,
That is the ultimate cool machine. I like it a lot. Now if you could just fit a keg in there, with taps on the back...:)
Thanks for sharing with us. Enjoy it, whatever you haul.
Tom