Ive made my decision

GoldenMotor.com

rimotorbiker

Jun 1, 2009
Rhode Island
well after a couple suggestions from members and me reserching ive ordered the 80 cc kit from bike berry .com and it looks like ive saved 10 bucks and it will be shipped 2 days faster than bike motor kit .com hopefully it will be a good starting kit i can get some enjoyment out of without much breakage of parts i know it is kinda cheap but i aint got a big buget for this right now.im a auto technician and hopefully with experience in that feild i can do some modifications such as stronger fasteners and knowing what to keep lubricated and right fuel mixtures i can make it last wish me luck im gonna try and document the complete build on the site if possible.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
As long as you can do some of your own fabrication. Custom chain tensioners, engine mount, etc. The China kits are fine.
Being an auto mechanic, you should be all set.

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Sounds Great! Be sure to post pictures. We love pictures.

One thing that your experience will provide you is that you already have a feel for when you are wrenching a bolt and it is tight. I think alot of the inexperienced folks have problems because they wrench away and strip nuts etc. They don't take the time to look at a petcock and say. This is made of potmetal I will have to be a bit more careful tightening it and then stop when it feels right. Same with the other bolts. Much of the hardware seems to work ok if you don't strip it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Good luck remember it's about the fun of the build and the fun of the ride. The emphasis is on FUN... The money is really immaterial. You can build a perfectly satisfactory bike for under two hundred bike and kit included.

And still have enough left for dinner out.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
+1 on stripping bolts... The bolts that come with the kit are complete crap. I didn't use any of them. I stripped all the bolts on the tensioner trying to get it tight enough. Changed to stainless bolts. You can wrench those like there is no tomorrow, and they won't strip.