little bit of help if anyone can spare it

GoldenMotor.com

proneto911

Oct 8, 2014
NW Burbs of Chicago
A few things, First the twist grip throttle i broke a part of the outside where the cable goes in and yeah it broke twisting it too hard or something. anyways, i want to use the same housing for the kill switch on a new one since there isnt anything wrong with it. compatible twist throttle that are metal or a known strong plastic one that works with the kit housing. have a 80/66cc

Second, it is getting cold in Chicago again (big surprise in this season lol) and in the past month i noticed that its getting harder to pull on the cable feels like the cable is constricting or something on the cable inside. is there any way to oil it or grease it to make it move smoothly?

thanks
Brian

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
just get a new plastic one & handle it more carefully

hold cable up & let some light machine oil (3in1 is good) slowly drip along inner - it will go all the way down if you're patient

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
I have been considering using a twist grip from a motorcycle as a replacement not because mine broke but because its terrible.
that said this link should have what you are looking for.

as per the kill switch, if you clip the peg out from inside it (or drill a second hole in your handlebars) you should be able to back it up against the new grip and continue to use it.
but if you are replacing the throttle anyway you could opt for purchasing a higher quality kill switch or getting a replacement throttle that has one attached.

finally about lube: I have used a few drops of my chain lube for this purpose, but some people on these forums have been adamant about using a dry lube on your cables (graphite powder) makes a lot of sense to me, but whatever type of lube you use just make sure to lube them tubes regularly. also keep an eye out for your cable bunching or folding because that can really mess up your day.

proneto911

Oct 8, 2014
NW Burbs of Chicago
Thanks for the responses. I will for temporary use get the plastic one for now till i can find a good metal one that fits or find one thats good and then glue or and adhere the current kill switch or make it fit somehow (good at tinkering with things).

As for the lube ill have to find some light machine oil or graphite powder. it in the garage right now. disassembled the throttle might have to mess with the current one i have see if i can rig it somehow

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Prone. Welcome to the forum!

Just to add to. My all time favorite throttle has dual brakes (if ya want to have both on one handle) Can get it from many suppliers and is stouter and more comfortable then the regular kit ones.

Check with any of the suppliers on either side here or google * Dual Brake Twist Throttle Kit * Pic below. It is around 20 bucks and I think well worth it.

r.ly.

Attachments

proneto911

Oct 8, 2014
NW Burbs of Chicago
yeah went to a local power sports shop and found a replacement plastic for now till i get the money to get a new one.

I now just tried to start it and it wants to start but wont run :( i can peddle down the road with it. its like it wants to start but wont or no spark don't know. was doing this when it was about 10F out it started and ran but i drained the carb so and took the head, intake and exhaust off and cleaned everything i could with a wire brush in the main chamber but don't think that would of messed with anything. i could be just too cold out for it.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Just my two-cents: I'm on Long Island, and after a very wet and just-above-freezing Christmas/New Year's week, I was unpleasantly re-surprised by the effects of freezing-weather on cable-actuation. I made a concerted effort this Spring to adequately water-proof my ride after too many magneto-coils failing through moisture. Between proper fendering and thoughtful plasti-dipping, I now have an engine I could probably ride across the Hudson River under-water with the right snorkel. What I FORGOT from last winter is that if even a LITTLE moisture gets into a cable-sheath, it can act like solder to the cable when frozen. Do what CRASIUS says. I spent an unpleasant and unexpected VERY CHILLY hour yesterday replacing my clutch-cable and hair-dryering-and-oiling my throttle-cable. This was made worse by the fact that some really evil strain of flu-virus is making its way through the US East-Coast, and I'm just getting over the worst of it. Be proactive: oil ALL your cables pre-install. Monday Morning Quarterback: "Don't force your throttle if it's below freezing!".

mr42ndstblvd

Nov 10, 2013
oklahoma
check your fuel mixture best advise if its not running take out the sight screw on the carb with the tank turned off and drain the carb out put the drain screw back in and lt it fill up with fresh gas then make sure your plug boot is on good check your wiring to see if its pulled loose if you can get a spark plug tester and check for spark have somebody spin the back wheel with the clutch out while you check for spark or pull the 415 chain off and spin the motor with the drive gear and your spark plug tool and check for spark if you dont have spark that indicates a magneto problem or a cdi problem if you have a stock cdi i have never seen thoose go bad so its probably a magneto failure or an unplugged wire in the wiring also check your intake and exhaust gaskets if you made your own and didnt punch out the center that will cause the bike not to fire my best advise is to make sure you have spark and good gas mix when in doubt thro it out and start over on your gas

proneto911

Oct 8, 2014
NW Burbs of Chicago
ok false alarm i was so preoccupied about getting a new twist grip then i went to mess with the cdi plug i heard a rattling and found out that i failed to tighten down the head cylinder so did that and now I get the compression but only thing i didn't check was for spark will do that tomorrow and see if i didn't kill the CDI wire to the spark plug.

thanks everyone for the input i appreciate it and feel like this is a great community to be a part of. thanks again for the input and help.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Great news! Don't worry, the more you learn, the more you'll enjoy this engaging hobby. Incidentally, mine IS my daily and primary transportation; if you're patient and willing to learn, these wonderfully simple and efficient engines can be surprisingly reliable.