Daily driver?

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Is there a specialized tool kit for sale for motorized bikes or are you better off to just put one together?
I don't know of any tool kits especially packaged for MBs. But there's multi-tools and such meant for bicycles in general. I don't doubt that they're handy. But I haven't found the need. I prefer a tool kit with the tools that I choose.

My suggestion would be to start with a set of metric wrenches sized from 8mm to 15 mm. You'll find that you don't use some of them much at all (11 mm, for example). So you'll take those out to save weight sooner or later. You'll also want a folding set of metric Allen wrenches. A screwdriver. And I carry a strip of steel 1/2 w by 1/8 thick by about 6 inches long. This makes a fine prybar to use against your axle in order to set that at just the right spot in the dropouts.

As far as the OPs question goes, I'm seeing some very good suggestions above. I don't necessarily carry all that stuff myself. But that'll be a matter of individual taste. Just which repairs one is willing to do by himself on the road. I keep that down to pretty simple stuff, myself.

If you get to know your bike you won't get stranded very often. And I'm willing to walk home and then drive back and pick up the bike on those occasions when something goes wrong and my toolkit is not up to the task. It's actually pretty rare.

I concern myself more with carrying the right clothes plus having some more cargo space for picking up groceries or other odds and ends. During some times of the year it means carrying a fair amount of clothing in order to have what's just right for changing weather.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Almost every tool it took to build yer bike PLUS...... a couple ounces of 2 stroke oil. and chain tool and a piece of chain for when yer chain gets twisted beyond repair. a cell phone with yer buddies number on speed dial.:-||

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Rode past a dude on a quad with a broken chain, he was rude as **** when I offered to help.

Jerk, have fun walking home. I had every tool to fix his damn quad too.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Hey bro, Where the H311 are you every time I break down? I hope the M.F. was 10 miles from his house. AND I hope his cellphone was dead so he could'nt call anyone. You would think a dude might be greatfull for a helping hand. I might have pulled out my chain breaker and my other tools and my extra peice of chain I always carry, THEN, just packed it all back up and rode away. Laughing all the way, HO HO HO, TIS the saeson to be jolly.dance1
HA HA, Mine runs and your's dont.:-||
fatdaddy.usflg

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
LOL,

Your a sick man. I've always enjoyed that about you.
Thanks Tom, Good to know someone finally noticed. My shop manager thinks I'm pretty much nuts too, I keep telling him, That if we learn from our mistakes, that he must be a freaking genius by now.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Rode past a dude on a quad with a broken chain, he was rude as **** when I offered to help.

Jerk, have fun walking home. I had every tool to fix his damn quad too.
Wow! That's extreme.

I'll stop and ask anyone who I can reach safely, "Are you okay? Anything you need?" It usually works out that they can either help themselves or neither of us can help them.

But they're always nice and they're grateful that someone stopped to check.

This guy, apparently, was so sour at his misfortune that it didn't even occur to him that you were doing something to make it at least a bit better.

Amazingly short-sighted.

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
i ended up with a pretty heavy took kit riding around with me for a while... this point, i don't go for long road trips without my trailer just to carry my backpack, tools, premixed fuel and quite a bit of mix oil... i've ended up being 25+ miles from home with noone to call several times and had to do substantial work roadside... but like you guys have said, it's all trial and error and you'll end up getting your bike dialed in and be able to cut way back on the cargo... my daily driver is quite the ugly bike, but it's solid which counts... ****, my fenders are made from old rain gutter, but they WORK awesome! my trailer is a modified 2 seater kid hauler...

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I think most of us have found out that nothing ever goes wrong untill yer at least 6 or 8 miles away from the tool box. Yeah, ya ride it around the block a few times and everythings cool. so yer on yer way to grandma's house on the other side of town and the chain falls off, wraps up in yer wheel, breaking a couple spokes in the process. AND ya probably got a flat while skidding to a stop cause the stupid chain locked up the rear wheel. And oh yeah I almost forgot, Ya almost always loose the master link in the dirt and gravel on the raod, NEVER to be found!!! The most important tool I carry is my cell phone. I left without it one time, and after sitting on the side of the road for an hour or two I was wishing I had sharpend my knife better so I could slice my wrist. FINALLY, some dude stopped and let me use his phone. when my buddy showed up in his van I would have kissed him if he wasn't so butt ugly. He looks a lot like me.
Two words people..... CELL PHONE. Dont leave home without it.
fatdaddy.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Redneck, I looked but can't find any pics of your fenders. Sounds awesome and ya gotta love repurposing like that. Any links or pics? Really does sound awesome. And I gotta instal gutters on the shop.....

================

LOL, FD. ayup an' 2 funny

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh

just took this pic this morning and added it to my albums... still waiting on the top end rebuild, but this is what i've got going for fenders... i just used zip ties to mount to the bottom side of the back rack and an angle bracket to mount the front... also, to keep the front from bouncing all over the place and to keep the cables neat, i zip tied them to the front of the front fender...
i also, put a small section in behind the air filter just to keep the back tire from kicking debris into it...
all and all it works out rather well

mr42ndstblvd

Nov 10, 2013
oklahoma
i used to cummute to work about 4 miles everyday round trip my bag included a spare carb spare plug and spare magneto a folding allen key set a folding screw driver set my 10 mm wrench and a few extra 10 mm pair of vice grips an adjustable to take of wheel bolts and thats about it i rode every day for almost a year till i got another car i will admit if it was raining hard or i just didnt want to ride i would bum a ride now and again but i still commuted almost everyday on my bike