Jag cdi

GoldenMotor.com

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Thanks for all the lengthily responses. I have a feeling Crassius that there will be another build in my future and l will be able to swap them out and do some real comparisons. I'm going to leave it be but will play with the switches as suggested!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Well Toothy Im glad you aren't offended by the lengthy responses from me, I try to be very thorough when I explain things or give opinions or experiences, I hate being misunderstood and have a tendency to over explain myself many times, some people are aggravate d by that while others appreciate the time spent to tell something in a way that it is clearly understood, I enjoy talking about things of interestand the fact Im rarely at a loss for words on those things shows up strong in my typed out gabbing on here.....lol!!!

Thank you for the patients and I wish you the best with your bike and the next build as well.

Dang-it.... aint this an enjoyable hooby and alternative way to zip around...!

Peace, Map

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
seems funny that I got a Rocket CDI to play with over here too... to see if it can make my engine propel 220 pounds of me around a littel easier... I've had it for a while but just hadn't had enough time to put it on the bike and try it, I did go out in the garage the other day, wire it in letting it all hang on by the spark plug wire and fire the engine up just to say I've ran it... lol

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
seems funny that I got a Rocket CDI to play with over here too... to see if it can make my engine propel 220 pounds of me around a littel easier... I've had it for a while but just hadn't had enough time to put it on the bike and try it, I did go out in the garage the other day, wire it in letting it all hang on by the spark plug wire and fire the engine up just to say I've ran it... lol
Well, I dont want my post here to be a highjack..., but im gonna install my Rocket cdi in place of the lightening cdi and then install the lightening cdi in place of the stock cdi on another bike in place of the stock cdi unit.
I'm gonna kill two birds with one stone here by seeing if the rocket will give me same top speed and rpm as the lightening, and then Ill see if the lightening will give the same results or not on the other bike in place of stock unit.

What I may do also is put a stock unit in place of the rocket cdi after I see how it compares to the lightening, im figuring on trying all three units on the fastest bike to see if there is a noticeable difference in how it runs or what the top speed is between all of them on that bike, I will test each one on the exact stretch of road with absolutely nothing else being changed on the bike accept the cdi.

I think I already know what my results will be, but there isn't but one way I have to find out for sure and that is to switch between each one keeping all other things exactly the same and see what the results will be, im gonna be flat out straight up honest in everyway with my findings and than I will stand firm on my solid opinion about each one and if there is any "snake oil" in the claims of more power and better top speed that is said to be an advantage with the Rocket or the Lightening cdi's
I already know what happened when I used the original Jag type with retarded timing at upper rpm.... it was a dog.... lost 6-7 mph off top speed and it as I expected made no difference in engine vibes.... I always believed that claim was Bull Pucky anyway, timing wont counter the effects of a badly balanced and horribly untrue crankshaft.

Ok ill shut up with my semi hackjack post here.... and ill create a new thread with my test results when I get that little job done.

Map

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Haha... I'm out too... before we get too far off topic on this guy's post...
I already have a bad habit of hijacking, even when it's unintensional people keep asking me stuff or replying then I have to quietly sneak out so the original poster can keep his post his...

Anyway, I'll be watching for your independant CDI shootout post and if I ever get mine in I'll do my own comparison against the stock unit as well...

<--- Hands the post back to the original poster...

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
Ok ill shut up with my semi hackjack post here.... and ill create a new thread with my test results when I get that little job done.

Map
Map, good luck with the test! I am awaiting it rather anxiously because I believe many forum members are being cheated out of their money for ineffective CDIs.

Toothy, if ignition timing is too aggressive and you are experiencing some detonation, you could also run a higher octane gas as a test. If the stock CDI does not cause any detonation and doesn't create pitting in the piston, I doubt that ignition timing is a problem. As map said, moving to the stock CDI might net you more power without any consequences.

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Highjack all you want......I'm learning a lot. I hope I didn't get ripped off. The other forum seems to endorse. It's like watching TV ads during an election year.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Highjack all you want......I'm learning a lot. I hope I didn't get ripped off. The other forum seems to endorse. It's like watching TV ads during an election year.
I agree, highjacked threads have given me the opportunity several times to learn something extra.

As far as getting ripped off, that is all a metter of what you want for your bike, if best top speed and highest rpm potential aren't important to you and you are a rider who just toodles around at a moderate speed, then the jag will fit that bill just fine, but if you're looking for best rpk potential and are setting the bike up to have its maximun top speed and want to cruise at a higher rpm then the jag will rob you compared to what a stock cdi will allow the engine to do, all of this depends on what the engine is actually capable of though, if the engine build itself isn't able to reach high rpms then you may not notice much difference between the two in that area, in my experience with a cdi that had the timing set to retard at high rpms my bike that would run mid 40's MPH at its limit would only do 37 MPH after changing nothing but the cdi, I put my old beat up stock cdi back on tha bike and my top speed and better rpm came right back, this bikestill has the stock unit on it and I cruise 43-45mph all day long on the flat if I choose and there isn't a big head wind to buck.....

It has been proven by others just like myself that the retarded timing at high rpm works as a rev limiter and limits top speed, if you engine is capable of higher rpms that is will turn with a jag cdi, you will see an increasein rmp and speed if you switch to a stock unit most likely.

Map