Occ stingray: best size rear sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

BLKGLD

Mar 12, 2014
North Carolina
Hey guys. I am currently running the standard 44 on my 26" cranbrook cafe/rat, but want to switch over to a chopper. Picking up the mount and drag from Barry's, but which size sprocket will be best for low end torque on a 20" rear wheel? The 44 works well in the 26" for pulling hills but how will it do on the 26"? Thanks!

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
U'll lose some top end, but will gain some torque. Since u already have it on hand, install it and see if u like the torque better or prefer to keep your top end. If u don't like the loosing our top speed u can always change it out. I'm thinking 36 would be fine

BLKGLD

Mar 12, 2014
North Carolina
Thanks! I'm 5'10" , 180lbs, so the stingray frame is a little small but in stretching the rear wheel back about 4". I am also stretching the seat back to sit out over the rear wheel!

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
I built a 20" Mongoose BMX bike and I ran as small as a 22,23t and now Im at 25t since the tracks are a little too small for the 22t. I worked on tuning the header and along with the Fred Head and porting and the bike has pretty decent bottom end for pulling mild hills. I broke the engine in on a 30t and I would think that with the bigger tire size on the OCC bikes you may want around a 34t but the bottom end is also engine/pipe tuning as much as gearing.

Last edited:

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
personal experience, my OCC is a pain in the ass to pedal,because of the pedals being so far out front and no back rest i cant torque down on them as if it was a MTB or beach cruiser. im 5'9" and 280lbs. But if i give it just a little push and strain a little on those cranks, give it gas and slide the clutch,it will move,but slowly enough to make me paranoid trying to get thru a busy 4 lane intersection fast and safely.

Ive been told the larger the tooth count the more low end grunt,but less top speed,so on our 20 inch wheel, our stock 44 tooth is like a 56 tooth on a 26 inch rim.. more or less from what i understand. But i would like to be way lower in the 50's myself if it would help get me thru stop lights/intersections faster without pedaling so much. basically off the line faster.

ive been running a 44 tooth on mine and wish i could jackshaft it on gears. However with that said, my lighter friends who weigh in between 180 and 220 can get my bike on that same 44 tooth in speeds near 40 mph or a little more, not officially by radar but ive seen them keep up with or pass other cars on my street that is 40 mph area. with me... im lucky to hit 30 these days. Well plus my engine kit is 5 years old and maybe in need of a rebuild.

best advise is check it out for yourself before committing to a different tooth sprocket,you maybe happy with the 44 tooth,also my friends and i notice at higher speeds on this bike it develops a high speed shake and wobble so im fine at 30 to 40 mph on it,any faster and i think i would be looking into high speed wheel bearings and moped/motorcycle tires.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Steering geometry is wrong!
you need to give it some castor.
about 2" is usually enough.
it requires changing triple tree and forks.