Another 1st timer with a Roller

GoldenMotor.com

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
This thing's great. I'm doing 30mph and it isn't broken in yet at all. Probably 6 miles on it now. Can't wait for better wheels and more compression. :)

I've certainly got the fever already.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Curious what the problem was? Idle screw? I had a problem with my idle screw once. Rode like 30 miles thinking my carb was flooding. Was that the problem?

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
The clutch was slipping. My first run I had burned it pretty bad. I wasn't used to how anything felt. So it wasn't spinning the engine enough to get it going and my pushing the primer button just flooded it making it worse.

Adjusted the clutch and it started fine.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I have had that problem before. I seriously doubt if you put any real wear on the clutch in 4 miles, no matter how bad it was off. Probably came that way though, either that or it was stiff and the first run loosened it up. That happens sometimes too. When I was a noob, I had quite a few instances where my bike wouldn't start and I looked for big problems and didn't check for small ones. Oh well, you live and you learn

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
There was quite a lot of clutch material ground up and scattered around the gears. I don't know what's a normal amount with a new kit after so little use, but it seemed like a lot, and I know of a goof up that I know could have caused it.

Whatever the case, it's nice to have it working again.

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
Still seems to be working fine. I found it was running rich. I guess being set for 16:1 SAE30 junk, it would have been right. I'll be sanding the head soon, and I'm thinking a pipe should be in the works.

I have the 2 stroke tuner's handbook, so hopefully I can work something up. Anyone have a design that works well for lower RPM cruising? I'd like to cruise at 5.5-6k and I'm going to have a tiny rear sprocket to make it possible, but I don't think it'll have the oomph to hold speed with the little spinner installed.

I need it to hold 55mph for miles at a time to ride it where I live without getting run over by coal trucks, and even @ 55 I will get on their nerves at times.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I don't think the Morini guys are doing 55.

You do realize that you are betting your life on $300 worth of Cheap Chinese parts?

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
55mph on a bicycle really is asking for serious injury.

Ask anyone who's ever owned a motorcycle if they'd even consider it. I've seen people who got seriously hurt on actual motorcycles going less than 20mph.

One pot hole and one snapped bolt and you're road pizza. Take it from someone who's fallen (head first) onto moving pavement, it's not fun.

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
It will be more unsafe to go 30(which is what it'll do right now) than it will be doing 55 on these roads. At 30 I will most certainly be killed to death by other motorists.

Yes, there are plenty of "what ifs", but there are those at any speed. I've heard the saying that it's not if, it's when you'll have a crash on a cycle.

I'll be wearing protection :) if I'm doing those speeds. The thing is, at 30, this is a hobby toy and nothing more. At 55 it's alternate transport to and from work. I'll take the risk. Life's too short to ride slow.

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
Wasn't trying to burst your bubble. I would strongly suggest simply getting a real motorcycle though, would be much safer.

Seriously, I hit pavement at about 35mph and sustained a bad head injury, tons of cuts and scrapes all over my body, a broken toe, busted open hand, and my back is permanently messed up.

Just trying to be a voice of reason. If you do it anyway make sure and wear some thick leather and a good helmet (with face protection).

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
OK, have fun.

But if you really need to go 55, you will be much better off buying a used 250 cc "dual purpose" motorcycle. And you will spend less cash for that than what you will spend trying to get an OP Roller up to 55.

You'll live longer too.

I wonder how many stops from 55 the Chinese coaster brake has in it?

Really, think about it.

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
Well prepped means a front disc and most likely heavy duty wheels too.

But if you really need to go 55, you will be much better off buying a used 250 cc "dual purpose" motorcycle. And you will spend less cash for that than what you will spend trying to get an OP Roller up to 55.
I respectfully disagree with the 250cc comment. Pictures of why may be posted later. :)

Last edited:

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
Been raining every day here, but I was determined to ride today on my day off work. Man, was that interesting. My carb keeps coming off. I've cranked it as tight as I dare without crushing something, but it still comes off after a while.

Probably 10 minutes and then I have to hold it on while I'm riding, or it boggs to a halt and I have to restart.

Gonna be reworking and streeting an old mtb soon for my "big" 4 stroke.

I can say I tried to do 30 here, and it just doesn't work. Even in the rain there is too much traffic to survive it on a regular basis, and we don't have bike lanes. We are fortunate to have 2 lanes.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
A happy time in an OP Roller ain't gonna work at 55 either.

55 is serious dude. You wouldn't want to be cruising at freeway speeds with one hand on the bar and one hand on the carb eh?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Still seems to be working fine. I found it was running rich. I guess being set for 16:1 SAE30 junk, it would have been right. I'll be sanding the head soon, and I'm thinking a pipe should be in the works.

I have the 2 stroke tuner's handbook, so hopefully I can work something up. Anyone have a design that works well for lower RPM cruising? I'd like to cruise at 5.5-6k and I'm going to have a tiny rear sprocket to make it possible, but I don't think it'll have the oomph to hold speed with the little spinner installed.

I need it to hold 55mph for miles at a time to ride it where I live without getting run over by coal trucks, and even @ 55 I will get on their nerves at times.
Where should we send your sympathy card to.

Last edited:

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
The Roller will probably be sold if I can sell it or kept around as a toy. It just doesn't work here as transportation. 30mph gets me about a mile of distance before certain death in the 55 zone. It'll be easier to start with a bigger engine and take my time reshaping my old steel mountain bike for it, rather than keep messing with the HT. It doesn't seem to be going well so far.

Got the 4 stroke cheap, and the old bike is just lying around, so it's time to move on, I guess.

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
The new 4 stroke I have is 196cc. It'll handle 55, and the bike will end up being low and stable enough to handle it too.