~ Bike Carrier Problem ~

GoldenMotor.com

vintage97302

Feb 3, 2011
Salem, Oregon
Hi everyone, I have a question: I cannot store my bike where I live due to living in an upstairs appartment and my storage unit is about 5 miles away over the interstate and several interstate overpasses...so, I have searched for days for a carrier that I could put on my 92' Ford Explorer to haul it over to my house and ride it from there...I just have a ball hitch or I would get a cheap cargo carrier from Harbor Freight that fits Class III and IV 2" receivers...but I just have a ball hitch. Any advice/links or recommends would be apprecaited...thanks.

-Eric

.bld.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Could go with a regular carrier Eric. The ones that strap on the car or truck. I brought a MB from CT to Maryland and back on one I got at a church tag sale for $5.

vintage97302

Feb 3, 2011
Salem, Oregon
Could go with a regular carrier Eric. The ones that strap on the car or truck. I brought a MB from CT to Maryland and back on one I got at a church tag sale for $5.
Thanks Dan, I did think of that but didn't know if A: It would hold the extra weight and B: If the added motor/tank ect... would get in the way of how a " normal " bike would need to hook onto it...thanks, I will look into that option.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have the same problem, no receiver for the standard carriers I've seen. I have a Ford Ranger pickup with a topper and haven't found a bike carrier that will adapt, safely, to the tail gate. Getting the bike into the pickup bed is no picnic for one man, and because of the topper I have to lay the bike on its side...not good either.
When the weather warms up a bit, if it ever does, I'm going to look at making my own carrier; something that will hang on the tailgate and be supported by the step bumper.
Why doesn't anyone make a carrier for us guys with SUVs or pickups without hitch receivers?
Tom

Last edited:

Bob Mac 18704

Jan 24, 2010
penna.
They do make one to mount too the ranger bumper. Your bumper has a place for a tow ball to mount. They make a rack that you take the ball off, put on the small adapter and then put the ball back on to hold the adapter. The bike rack then mounts to the adapter. The rack also swings down to open the tailgate. You can even swing it down with the bikes on it. I have one for sale if your interested. :D

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
I Have a trailer hitch mounter bike rack, its the bees knees in bike transportation, only problem is that it makes my car about 2 inches lower when the 2 MBs are loaded. So i scrape the ground coming out of driveways. but its no biggie. THe one i have cost me 150 and can hold 3 regular bikes upto 100lbs, i can load 2 MBs on it safely.

here is a shopping list of places that sell them
http://www.google.com/search?source...QQrQQwAA&biw=1259&bih=907&fp=f01230af4bc08485

Last edited:

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I have a Bell receiver mount bike carrier, that I used to carry two friction drive bikes on. After I went to the Staton chain drive on one of the bikes, the added weight almost caused me to lose both bikes. Haven't used a bike rack since. I mostly trailer, when I go to the lake or remove the Tonneau and strap them upright in the truck bed. Be very careful with bike racks, most aren't designed to haul MB around and could mess up a good day in the extreme!