winter blues

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
curious what others do during the long winters. some of you are fortunate enough to be in southern places where you can ride year round. others like me are stuck in the cold lol. i been ordering parts for my bike waiting for a little warmer weather to work on it. any days above 40 i try to get a little ride in but that hasn't happened lately and by the long range forecast is no where in site. i keep looking at the teachings of norman and can't wait to work on my motorized bicycle and get out to ride again. spring time we are ready!

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I always have a bunch of computers to work on. Or I go work on the Tailwind. Oh and there's always that never ending "Honey Do" list. I've been going over to Normans and helping him work on headlights but he was gone last week and I think this coming week too. It's never boring if Norman's around....................

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I thought I'd bump this very old thread, just for kicks and to see what our current members have to say.

As for me? I try to stay warm. I hate the cold and today I'm not very happy. It's noon in Denver and the thermometer on my back porch says, 9 degrees. That just bites.
At least my garage is heated so I can get out there and play but to keep peace with the lady of the house and the one who pays and sees the utility bills, I keep the temp lower than I'd like. 65 to 68 seems to be a good compromise. 75 would be better but..........

I have a restoration project that will occupy my time this winter but in the last three I've built bikes. One motorized bicycle each winter.

9 degrees? So where's all this "Global Warming" I've heard so much about? Not here!

Tom

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Tom, it warmed up today. Our high temperature was -4 degrees. This morning when I headed to work it was -21 degrees. Heck I've been working so much that I only stop and look at my bike and some new parts I'm collecting for the new build.

This evening at dinner the wind chill showed -42 degrees lol.

I hate winter.

Dan.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
I'm building a racebike so I can show South St.Louis City how North County rolls.
We have a VL a dome here for bike racing .

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
In about a half hour I'm riding my motorized bicycle to work. The outside temp is 7 deg F.

I've never ridden motorized in temps like this. But last night on the way home the temp was about 10 deg higher. The wind was noticeably stronger, though. So I expect conditions on average to be similar.

Here's the best part of it; I was not really uncomfortable at all last night. This morning ought to be perfectly do-able.

I know this is unusual. But I'm happier this time of year than I am in the summer.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I always have a bunch of computers to work on. Or I go work on the Tailwind. Oh and there's always that never ending "Honey Do" list. I've been going over to Normans and helping him work on headlights but he was gone last week and I think this coming week too. It's never boring if Norman's around....................
White letters on a gray background, eye torture.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
To my good fortune the snow only last a few days then its gone here in Oak Ridge Tennessee. We KHS get snow 3-4 times a year. On cold days I bundle up good but the trips are short.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I'll do the not so fun things in my garage like pack bearings. Maybe do some frame painting. I'll ride on nice days. I have a certification exam to study for too.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
White letters on a gray background, eye torture.

On posts like this, just take your cursor to the top left side of the post, left click and scroll down while holding down on the clicker. Makes the post an easily read blue color.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I put on a set of these to beat the frozen winter blues!
If I had some of those I could ride today...... solid ice here in central Texas last two days and at noon itfinally got up to around 20 degrees.....

Had some fun though...., m dad has an old sled and I got out an old buggie board I bought on South Padre Island back in 2007.... and my 70+ year old dad and I took turn sledding down a couple hills, he's 70's going on 30 and in really good shape so we still do things like this and ride out motorcycles together when we can.... he loves the motorized bikes and had one himself that h built whn he was 15 using an old Cushman Husky engine in an old skip chain Schwinn frame...

Cant ride bikes here right now but we played anyway......!

Map

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
my 70+ year old dad and I took turn sledding down a couple hills, he's 70's going on 30 and in really good shape so we still do things like this and ride out motorcycles together when we can.... he loves the motorized bikes and had one himself that h built whn he was 15 using an old Cushman Husky engine in an old skip chain Schwinn frame...

Cant ride bikes here right now but we played anyway......!

Map
That is Awesome Map I've been to South Padre a few times myself via Port Isabel.I lived on it for a few months in my teens just surfing and partying it up living on the beach .

Then winter came and reality set in I ended up back home!!.. That's great to hear about your Father in such great health. That really is all that matters I miss both my parents soo much,

I wish I paid more attention to them simple stuff like my fathers recipes for banana bread or his stuffed quahogs or his clam chowda!! roast beef diner . All this stuff I regrettably took for granted cherish every moment Map. we never know how long we are gonna get .!

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
what do i do in the winter ? i hook up a trike conversion kit and keep on riding !

we just got 3 inches of snow today and i rode to army drill anyway ! its mad fun to do tail whip burn outs in empty parking lots in the freash snow !

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
That is Awesome Map I've been to South Padre a few times myself via Port Isabel.I lived on it for a few months in my teens just surfing and partying it up living on the beach .

Then winter came and reality set in I ended up back home!!.. That's great to hear about your Father in such great health. That really is all that matters I miss both my parents soo much,

I wish I paid more attention to them simple stuff like my fathers recipes for banana bread or his stuffed quahogs or his clam chowda!! roast beef diner . All this stuff I regrettably took for granted cherish every moment Map. we never know how long we are gonna get .!
Amen brother..... aint a single one of us promised our next breath so we have to have our hearts in the right place at all time and continually be thankful for every blessing in this mortal life.

God bless ya bro and remember they aint gone, they just went on the other side of this life...!

Map

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I wanted to test out my changing the gear ratio from 14:1 to 22:1 on my off road motor bike. I had planned to, but a clearing wind came up on SF Bay and I went windsurfing getting out of the water about an hour before sun set. It was probably about 50 degrees Fahrenheit air temp and water also about 50 degrees Fahrenheit. I was warm in my wet suit. It was just getting back in dry cloths I started to shiver. With a down jacket on after that, I was OK again.

ddesens

Jun 27, 2011
New Port Richey, FL.
The winter blues seemed to get worse for the wife and I every year. So after getting layed off in march of this year we moved to florida from upstate NY. No more frozen fingers from trying to use tools in the garage that are the same temp as outside. Going to my company christmas party in shorts last night was a nice change.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Amen brother..... aint a single one of us promised our next breath so we have to have our hearts in the right place at all time and continually be thankful for every blessing in this mortal life.

God bless ya bro and remember they aint gone, they just went on the other side of this life...!

Map
AMEN To that!
No more frozen tools for me ether about 6 years ago i put a gas furnace in my shop.
Allthoe ii am not all that fit i had a new knee put in last year and have been rideing my pedal bike every day untill it got cold, and i could still go sledeing.I have broken to many bones through the years,so don't do anything drastic to cause any more. at 72 i watch it close.
I have a Case 444 garden tractor with blower that keeps me busy when it snows. I built the blower out of two different ones to get it 42"wide. When it snow i blow half my city block so when the plow comes by there is no suprizes at the end of my drive. I spend a lot of time in the shop building and fixing.In the spring Mrach,we start up the motor home and head south for a month if we have the funds. When we get back the snow is gone. Except last year we went to Flordia got home in April the day before it started to snow a regular big snow doug out the blower. Never let it get me down always somethig to do or build..............Curt

Nevada

Nov 29, 2013
Reno, Nevada
The part I like about winters in Northern Nevada the most??.......................WHEN THEY'RE OVER! Was going to work on my build in the garage today, but it's 19 outside and 36 in the garage. Just not motivated to bundle up or fire up a heater to do the work. I guess I'll just hang out here on the forum with the rest of you.